Anyone Know Why Did My Cake Did This?

Decorating By mpetty Updated 31 Oct 2010 , 5:06am by cathyscakes

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:01am
post #1 of 3

I've had only 2 cakes come out with an indention around the side, and can't figure out what's going on. They were different recipes, one baked with bake-even strips, one without. I greased and floured the pans, using parchment rounds in the bottom, and baked both cakes at 350 degrees.

I couldn't get the picture to attach, but it's in my photos. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

2 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:50am
post #2 of 3

Cooling your cakes on their tops (rounded/peaked side) can cause them to crack, so I would recommend that you immediately turn them again before allowing them to cool. icon_smile.gif

I've never had that happen, but it could be that you need to really make sure that you don't have any trapped air spaces. I accomplish this by thumping the filled cake pans several times on the counter before putting them in the oven.

HTH

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 5:06am
post #3 of 3

I have had that happen before too. I take such pride into getting my sides even, and I hate when I have to trim to achieve the look I want. So i'm curious to see why it happens too. Just happens sometimes, its a strange thing. And Jan, I'll definitely try rapping the pan, hopefully that is the problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%