Location Location Location!

Business By KCC Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 3:51am by cakeville82

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 7

I am really wanting to open a shop. I am a home baker now but think a shop will really take off here. I looked at a place that is cheap but off the beaten path, in a residential/mixed area. I just wanted everyone's opinion. It is worth more money to be in a high traffic area (twice or more money)
I am working on my bus plan and looking at equipment. Thank all! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 7

First you have to decide if you want a small exclusive business(By appointment only) or if you plan to sell retail and rely on foot traffic.If you want/need the traffic then a more visible busy location is key.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 7

And that decision is driven by the market sudy you have done during the process of doing your business plan.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 7

It depends on how you want to focus your business really.
I am not on a high street, but am just round the corner from it. The only passing trade I get is from the neighbours who live in the square my bakery looks out on. I have a small counter with cupcakes, brownies, cookies etc to eat it with a coffee/coke, or to take away. People who look me up on Google or Facebook can find me easy enough. But I really only put that there to help out with the rent. The main focus of my business is with celebration cakes made to order. The cupcakes and coffees are just an extra really. I do not want to be serving coffee all day, and cannot since I run the place by myself. And I can't afford to pay anyone to help out yet!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

First you have to decide if you want a small exclusive business(By appointment only) or if you plan to sell retail and rely on foot traffic.If you want/need the traffic then a more visible busy location is key.

Yep, it depends on where you want to focus your business. If you're going to rely on people just buying something on impulse you have to be visible and accessible or they won't come to you.

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:42am
post #6 of 7

Thanks all! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:51am
post #7 of 7

John Schnatter started Papa John's in a broom closet in the back of a bar ,seemed to work out okay for him.
So if you think you can work with the location and use it to your best advantage then why not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%