Fondant, Gumpaste, Icing Tips? Please Help

Decorating By rkei Updated 30 Oct 2010 , 3:59am by Apti

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:14am
post #1 of 4

A while ago, I bought a premade container of fondant from Michaels. I opened it up with "great anticipation". It didn't smell good! I couldn't even bring myself to taste it! It was fresh.... does it just naturally smell bad??? Is it hard to work with? How can I make it taste better?

I would like to try gumpaste: How does it taste? And is it hard to work with?

Icing tips. I HATE cleaning them. They are always greasy, even after I wash them three times!! I have tried my cleaning tool, boiling water, grease cutting soap, like nothing works! What is your method of cleaning them?

Also, I am thinking of decorating a small sqaure cake, as small as I can get at Michael's, plus a few simple decorations. How much BC will I need? What kind of decorations are SUPER easy?

Thank ya'll so much for your help!!

3 replies
Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:20am
post #2 of 4

Well I've only bought store made fondant once and it didn't smell "bad" itsn't the best smelling stuff but it definatly didn't smell bad. I did think the taste was bad though. From then I on I've made my own.

Gumpaste does not taste good and its intended use usually isn't for eating anyways. Most people just make flowers and figurines out of it.

Hope this helps a little.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:43am
post #3 of 4

I have worked with pre made fondant a number of times in a pickel, it does not smell as awful but does have a plain smell to it. BUt definately never bad take it back. Only have used gumpaste pre made a couple times mostly flowers the dry hard and can be flavored but again just decorations. As far as the tips are they plastic? I only use metal, and I have never had alot of problems cleaning them I do use hot water and plenty of detergent because of the crisco and my brush and that should do it, not sure what else to tell you for that. And for your cake a small pan (8xicon_cool.gif ? I usually always make more than I need but a 1lb bag/box of powered sugar should be enough to torte and ice, but I enjoy having more than enough and I do not like to skimp on icing sooo, use your judgement. As far as decorations if you just want simple you can buy pre made but I would make simple flowers and boarders to get the job done. Hope it helps good luck and don't forget to post a pic. icon_smile.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:59am
post #4 of 4

A lot of folks use vinegar to clean tips and get them squeaky clean so they can be used with royal icing--it discolors the tips, but doesn't affect the performance or tip quality in any way.

I just use the dishwasher and keep them in a little plastic container with holes in it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%