Attention Tanning Addicts:

Lounge By Kellbella Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 10:38pm by costumeczar

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:31am
post #1 of 9

Is it worth it?? Had such a sad patient today at work...40 yr. old woman that had a mole removed from her back 2 yrs ago, was melanoma that has now spread to lungs, liver, bones, etc...it was so sad. She said she would go to the beaches when she was younger and just before she found her mole she was spending a lot of time in the tanning beds. The chemo is not working and she's hoping to join a clinical trial. She said she now "preaches" to the young women she knows that it's not worth it... icon_cry.gif

8 replies
JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 3:12am
post #2 of 9

Kell-

I am so glad you posted this. I was just 'weighing' my options about joining a tanning bed when my hubby deploys because I hate how pale I am. (I was a sunbather all through high school, tan tan tan!) But I just keep thinking that it's not worth it.

THEN I stumble on this post. Thank you. :] People pick on my son too because all the toddlers around here are pretty tan during the summer and he was white as a sheet. All I can think is yeah, sure let my 1 1/2 year old be dark as leather and then have cancer because of me by the time he's 20! :[

Tan is cuter (IMO) but NOT worth that. Heartbreaking.

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 3:31am
post #3 of 9

St.Moritz sunless tanner is amazing. You have to order it from the UK but I love it.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:09am
post #4 of 9

I have psoriasis, and the doctor recommended that I got to the tanning bed on occasion to help keep it dried up. I don't do it though. I think I will take my chances with the psoriasis.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez

Kell-

I am so glad you posted this. I was just 'weighing' my options about joining a tanning bed when my hubby deploys because I hate how pale I am. (I was a sunbather all through high school, tan tan tan!) But I just keep thinking that it's not worth it.

THEN I stumble on this post. Thank you. :] People pick on my son too because all the toddlers around here are pretty tan during the summer and he was white as a sheet. All I can think is yeah, sure let my 1 1/2 year old be dark as leather and then have cancer because of me by the time he's 20! :[

This woman has a 20 yr old son and a 15yr old daughter, it breaks my heart knowing that she could lose her mom at such a critical time in her life. I am glad I posted this too! When I was training for a marathon I wouldn't waer any sunscreen becaue I wanted a tan...but not anymore.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:44am
post #6 of 9

its not worth it!!
i just had two pre-cancerous moles removed 2 months ago. i was a wreck.
the scars are horrible.
i was a sun worshiper since i was a kid.
back then i used to use baby oil and bake all day!
i would suffer from nasty sun poisoning!! in the hospital twice for it.
when tanning salons came out i would go tanning in the morning-in the high beds then spend all day at the beach!
both of my kids worked at the salon during their high school years so i tanned for free.
i used the excuse that at least i dont get burned anymore. and it was so relaxing.
after the scare i just had- and the fact that now i have to be checked every 6 months- im DONE!
i recommend using a self tanning lotion. you get the same effect. and i use sunscreen all the time.
my kids who have had memberships to the gym that include tanning have now cancelled the tanning part of the membership.
ill say a prayer for this young mom.
its so sad- and skin cancer spreads so fast.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:47am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

I have psoriasis, and the doctor recommended that I got to the tanning bed on occasion to help keep it dried up. I don't do it though. I think I will take my chances with the psoriasis.

my mom also has psoriasis and has a doctors note - where he wants her to tan to help her. shes cut back - after my scare. but needs to do it for her health.
i know what you suffer through.....good luck

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:23am
post #8 of 9

I was never a sun worshiper (too hot; too sweaty; too boring to just sit in the sun) but even way back then I'd look at those people and wonder "Do you REALLY think that dried up leather look is attractive????" Since I used to sell a skin care line (not the pink one), I tend to notice the condition of facial skin and it's sad to see the price being paid for sun worship. And that's just the surface. It's even sadder when we hear stories like this one.

Ironic that it's referred to as a "healthy" tan, huh?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez

I don't call it a "healthy tan", I call it a "precancerous glow." And if anyone thinks that they're immune, did you know that Bob Marley (who wasn't pale and pasty like I am) died of a cancerous brain tumor because he had melanoma on his toe that metastasized?

When I used to take my kids to the doctor when they were little the doctor would look at their pale little bods and say "You did a good job with the sunscreen this year!" JaeR, keep on keeping your son pale and precancerous glow-free! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%