Transporting Gumpaste Flowers To Prevent Breakage

Decorating By mmdiez10 Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 12:51am by ninatat

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 11

Does anybody have a good tip about how to package gumpaste flowers to avoid breakage? I am driving about 1,000 miles to a wedding and taking already made gumpaste flowers with me to use to decorate a cake when I get there. I'm afraid that if I put them in tissue paper in a box that it won't be safe enough. Any ideas? If I stick them standing up in foam, how would I prevent the foam from moving around?

10 replies
Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 11

How large are the flowers? You can use egg cartoons lined with tissue.

mmdiez10 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 11

Kaykaymay: The flowers are assorted sizes of roses, blossoms, mums, lilies, etc. I do have lots of empty egg cartons that I have saved. I'll try to see how they fit. Thanks.

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 11

The last time I had to transport gumpaste flowers I used tissue paper and bubble wrap.

I'd make extra just incase a couple take a knock.

Good luck

Lyndsey xx

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 11

Cut up some pieces of foam sponge and wedge them between petals and leaves. This will prevent them from banging into each other and breaking.

You can wrap each flower in bubble wrap, then pack in a bubble wrap lined box. If you're uncomfortable wrapping each flower, place them on a large piece of foam sponge and insert dress pins strategically around each flower so they don't move from their spot on the foam. Then, place the foam sponge in a box. (I get large pieces of foam sponge from the craft or fabric store in the chair cushion section.)

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 11

I make my own 'bubble wrap' by scrunching up pieces of plastic wrap and nestling around the flowers. The flowers and other delicate items never bang around using this (and its cheap).

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 11

I've transported gumpaste flowers several hundreds of miles by car before. I put mine in a sturdy box protected by wads of cheap toilet paper. Layer it thickly to cushion them and keep them separated from each other. Put the heavier and large pieces on the bottom. Never had a problem. This tip was given to me by one of my instructors.

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 11

I drove almost a thousand sugar flowers to Oklahoma from San Diego and my best advice: quilt batting. You can buy rolls of it at WalMart or Joanns and it works beautifully and can be re-used. I individually wrapped all my flowers in the batting and then packed them in boxes. The only exception were my daisies, too fragile to wrap, those I left in a foam that I had cut to fit exactly in a box. Hope this helps! Good Luck.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexx

I've transported gumpaste flowers several hundreds of miles by car before. I put mine in a sturdy box protected by wads of cheap toilet paper. Layer it thickly to cushion them and keep them separated from each other. Put the heavier and large pieces on the bottom. Never had a problem. This tip was given to me by one of my instructors.

Me, too!

I buy the cheapest TP I can find and unroll it very loosely into the box. I wrap each flower lightly with TP, and place each one in a "nest" of more TP. I add more loose TP, add another layer of wrapped flowers, and so on.

Works like a charm. No "fuzzies" on the flowers or wires, and it is easily re-used for the return trip.

HTH
Rae

mmdiez10 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 11

Update: The flowers were packed standing up in foam and the foam was put into tall plastic containers. They made the trip perfectly!! Only lost one petal on one daisy. The cake came out great. Complete success. So thanks to all of you who gave me good ideas.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:51am
post #11 of 11

i've never moved them farther than to a different room, and have broke them, even picking them up, i use fondant/gum paste but i was watching where a lady on tv transported to a wedding and just in case she took extra petals

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%