Need Recs For A New Oven - Help!

Decorating By tsal Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 1:41pm by daltonam

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:33am
post #1 of 7

Hi,

So the repair man came today and my oven will cost more to fix than getting a new one so I'm officially shopping for a new electric oven (gas is not an option in my area).

I really need some help. I want a good oven for baking. I don't have an unlimited budget either. What about convection? I've read conflicting posts about this.

Recommendations/suggestions welcome! Of course my oven has to expire the week I need it for not only the 3-tier cake I'm preparing for my son's bday party on the weekend, but I'm also preparing all the food for the party!

6 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:41am
post #2 of 7

Samsung and LG ovens have the largest interior capacity of any home oven...I have the Samsung and really like it...others here have the LG and like theirs. I think the Samsung is a few hundred bucks cheaper. You can fit three racks into both.

Mine has regular baking and convection baking and I actually prefer regular baking, I feel the convection browns the tops too quickly...the convection works great for regular food though, I think...it cooks chicken nuggets and fries for the kids just great. haha.

Anyway...I love mine....other than with the hidden bottom element...if your cake overflows, it will smoke up worse than in a regular element stove, because the entire bottom is as hot as an element so you have to get in there and scrape it up immediately....sometimes I put foil on the bottom (third) rack if I think something's going to get messy.

Have fun!!!!

tsal Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:54am
post #3 of 7

Thanks Kitagirl! I'm having trouble finding the Samsung oven here. The LG looks great.

What about the GE Profile? I'd love a double oven and would need one that is smaller lengthwise than your standard double oven.

This is such a huge decision! I'm going to try to bargain the price a bit since my dishwasher also needs to be replaced (what a week!) so I will be buying 2 appliances from wherever I go.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 7

One oven with two doors has LESS space (I looked at them...the top one only fits like a pizza or something!)...but if you can build two ovens into your kitchen, that would be awesome.

tsal Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 7

My dream is to have two ovens, but I think that's for the next house (we're still in our starter home). I wouldn't have room for my microwave if I put in two full-sized ovens. What did people do before microwaves? lol! I depend on mine so much!

Kitagirl: I suspected that the GE ovens were super small. I'm trying to track down the Samsung.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

What about the GE Profile?

I have a GE Profile, a few yrs old, NOT the double, I like it alot, but I can't tell you anything about it's life expectancy, haha. I don't have a choice in what I get, we are VERY LUCKY to have a local appliance store that still does the "you can charge it" (without a credit card), so I get the brands they carry or will order for me & make my monthly (& thankfully low finance charges) payment !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

One oven with two doors has LESS space (I looked at them...the top one only fits like a pizza or something!)...but if you can build two ovens into your kitchen, that would be awesome.

Hey, I've got a question. The only reason I didn't get the double door (standard range size) was due to $$$. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to bake a cake & fix a pizza or nuggets at the same time? I know my kids get sick of hearing "after the cakes are baked" Also, could you bake a cake in the top oven, if it was the standard 9x13 or a normal 2" round? Also, my current oven has the "storage space" at the bottom, so really I'm still out the space right? I knew I couldn't afford it so I never looked into it that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

other than with the hidden bottom element...if your cake overflows, it will smoke up worse than in a regular element stove, because the entire bottom is as hot as an element so you have to get in there and scrape it up immediately....sometimes I put foil on the bottom (third) rack if I think something's going to get messy

Oh & I'm VERY glad to read what you said about the hidden element, makes me feel better than I couldn't afford it either, lol AS FOR the foil, walmart carries the oven pans for the bottom (or bottom rack that is) of the oven, I use foil when I run out of them, but they are easier to get out one handed if need be.....just extra info for you.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

I suspected that the GE ovens were super small. I'm trying to track down the Samsung.

Mine is full size in width, just loss the standard space for the bottom "storage".....but all of mine have been that way, so no surprise to me with that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%