Pricing

Decorating By aliciam Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 1:29am by patticake1951

aliciam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciam Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 7

So fellow bakers/decorators I was wondering if anyone charges as little as $35 for cake covered in fondants ? My reason is because I am trying to sell my cakes but have customers coming and asking to match a price with a fellow decorator. I start my fondant cakes at about $60 roughly depending on what is involved (most have figurines to be hand sculpted)and at times wonder if I am overcharging or under charging or just doing the normal? Any opinions ? I look forward to your replies icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 7

Gee whiz what now...asking you to match a competitor...It's like the grocery stores here...I would say "No Way"...Your time,skill and quality of product is different from someone elses....It 's like comparing apples to oranges...Gee...I want a Mercedes but maybe if I go into the Mercedes delearship they will price match a Ford Festiva...Not Likely..

I would say no if anyone asks...Your prices are more than fair for fondant covered cakes..actually a little low..I would price them higher..Fondant isn't cheap to buy...

aliciam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciam Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 12:11am
post #3 of 7

Thank you Kiddiekakes for your reply. That makes me feel a bit better icon_smile.gif

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 12:14am
post #4 of 7

I agree with Kiddiekakes, I was at an October festival a couple of weeks ago and had some of my display cakes out, My Barbie doll cake, covered in fondant
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1164187
and a small white wedding cake
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1792970
and this lady asked me how much I would be charging for something this size, when I get our business open.[which we are in the process of doing in the next few weeks.]
I told her around $45.00 or $50.00 for either one of them. {which I think I priced to low} and she said OHH!!! You will have some competition at that price from WALMART!!!! I don't think so!!!
You are right to keep your prices at that or higher.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 12:37am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake1951

I told her around $45.00 or $50.00 for either one of them. {which I think I priced to low} and she said OHH!!! You will have some competition at that price from WALMART!!!! I don't think so!!!
You are right to keep your prices at that or higher.

Yeah, right, if you were selling cakes that taste like cardboard and have no butter in them. People who shop for price only aren't custom cake customers, let them go to Walmart.

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 12:45am
post #6 of 7

Patticake, I am in Jamestown. I feel your pain. Seems that alot of people around this area want "Cake Boss" cakes at Wal-Mart Prices. icon_confused.gif Do they not realize that the cakes that they get at Wal-Mart are not the best quality of cake? icon_surprised.gif That comment was just too funny. I would love to have seen the look on your face when she said that. icon_eek.gif LOL

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:29am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickeyC

Patticake, I am in Jamestown. I feel your pain. Seems that alot of people around this area want "" cakes at Wal-Mart Prices. icon_confused.gif Do they not realize that the cakes that they get at Wal-Mart are not the best quality of cake? icon_surprised.gif That comment was just too funny. I would love to have seen the look on your face when she said that. icon_eek.gif LOL

I know, it is crazy!! There isn't another store besides Walmart, where my dd and I are opening our bakery.[west Tn] and most of the people were excited about the idea of finally having something besides WM, and we have already gotten orders. I just told her "WM doesn't make cakes like these or with fondant. So I don't think I will have to worry about them even if they are across the street!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%