3 Tier Carrot Cake??

Decorating By Skirt Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 3:06pm by Skirt

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 4:49am
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to make a 3 tier carrot cake iced with cream cheese frosting then covered in fondant. Will my good old carrot cake recipe stand up? icon_confused.gif
Does anyone have any suggestions for a stackable carrot cake recipe?

Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 5:18am
post #2 of 6

there is a sturdy carrot cake recipe on this site under recipes. Most on this site say cream cheese under fondant is a no no. I mean the real cream cheese recipe, not the decorators cream cheese(recipes on this site also. which you add crisco to. I have made this recipe. although it taste pretty good. it is not as good as the real cream cheese recipe. It is not a tangy. I love the real cream cheese recipe. I do think that most carrot cakes are sturdy enough to stack. hth

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 5:22am
post #3 of 6

any cake can be stacked. The structure you use within the cake (dowels and boards) is what supports the upper tiers. Cake doesn't support cake. You should use have a board for every 4" of vertical cake and dowels underneath to support it.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 6

What is your good old carrot recipe? There are so many of them, that unless we know your recipe we cannot give you a good answer.

But if in doubt, use the SPS system talked about here on CC. I just used it on a 3 tiered cake and it worked great. Every body on here says you could stack jello using this method. After using it for the first time, I agree.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 6

True, any cake can be stacked with the right support system.

However, I believe the main concern here is the FONDANT. Not all carrot cakes are firm enough to support fondant.

I use this carrot cake recipe http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/recipes/what_kind/cakes/carrot_cake_with_fresh_orange.php . It's firmer than a scratch carrot cake, but still very moist.

The Luau Wedding cake in my photos is 3 tiers of carrot cake, torted into four layers each, filled with alternating layers of cream cheese and pineapple fillings.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for your suggestions! My recipe has pineapple and mayo in it. I was worried it would fall apart since I've never made it and served it outside the pan. Maybe I'll try both mine and the cakedoctor's...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%