Covering A Cake Dummy For The First Time

Decorating By kristanashley Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 1:16am by chikadodle

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:05am
post #1 of 11

I'm covering my dummy in fondant, but I would like to be able to re-use the dummy. If I rub crisco on it before I put the fondant on, will it peel right off afterwards?

10 replies
kristanashley Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:16am
post #2 of 11

bump

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:24am
post #3 of 11

Yes it will. You can also add any cut outs with shortening as well. They will just peel off.

cocobaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobaby Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:24am
post #4 of 11

I would also like to know the best way to cover a dummy cake.

kristanashley Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:25am
post #5 of 11

Thanks! I'm excited!

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:28am
post #6 of 11

I usually just use piping gel on the dummy then cover it with fondant. When I'm ready to clean it off, I put the dummy into a big bucket of water (and weight it down or it floats) and let it sit overnight in the water. The water the next day is pretty gross, but the dummy is so much easier to clean off. I've found that trying to peel of the fondant tears up the dummy. Keep in mind that I usually have my dummies hanging around for a couple of months, so the fondant turns rock hard by the time I want to clean it off.

If there is a better method out there, I would also love to hear it! The sludgy fondant water is pretty yucky!

dsilvest Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:31am
post #7 of 11

Make sure you soften the upper edge by sanding, rubbing with your small rolling pin, rolling along the counter or using the palm of you hand. If the edge is sharp it will often tear the fondant as you are putting it on.
Once the dummy is covered, put it aside to dry slightly before handling it. This way you won't get fingerprint dents in the fondant.

dsilvest Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:35am
post #8 of 11

If the fondant has dried rock hard place the dummy in the dishwasher and send it through a short cycle. It comes out clean.

chikadodle Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:38am
post #9 of 11

Thanks dsilvest! I only wish we had a dishwasher at work (other than me and my employees!).

dsilvest Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:45am
post #10 of 11

chikadodle

Try using the shortening to stick the fondant on. I have left it on dummies for a month and was still able to peel it off without soaking it.

chikadodle Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:16am
post #11 of 11

I'll definitely try that out with the shortening. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%