Homemade Flower Formers

Decorating By Rocketgirl899 Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 10:14am by Mikel79

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:49am
post #1 of 14

I need to make 200 gerber daisies.

Any idea how to make the wilton round white flower formers?

13 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:55am
post #2 of 14

You can go to a produce store/department and ask the manager if you can have the paper/plastic trays that separate layers of oranges or apples in a crate. Punch holes in the center of each well to accommodate the stem, if needed. The plastic ones are better, as they do not absorb moisture. They can be used from either side, depending on the shape desired.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:57am
post #3 of 14

you can use the center of a paper towel role, or a pringles can, depending on the curve you want. The paper towel center is a little better at being manimulated since it's not quite as strong as a pringles can.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:07am
post #4 of 14

One time I just doubled up some foil and then pressed it into the Wilton former in rows....and then used the shaped foil to dry the daisies.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:19am
post #5 of 14

For smaller flowers maybe egg cartons? I've used them for regular daisies.
I love the foil idea....thanks. I will have to use that one.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:33am
post #6 of 14

I've also used a deviled egg plate, child's plastic art palette, strips of paper toweling twisted tightly and tied in a half hitch to form a ring shape, and even a thick layer of cornstarch in a rectangular cake pan. (You nest the soft flower into the shape you want and it is supported by the cornstarch until dry.) I have used the plastic produce separators and with a hole punched in the bottom as described by Playingwithsugar and find it to be my all time favorite. I went to several stores for different produce vendors have differing shapes and styles, useful sometimes for the minor variations.
Good luck on making 200! I fear I might go nuts.

Jan

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:44am
post #7 of 14

I use those plastic solo cups,use foil on top, let it swag a little. punch hole in top for the wires. Makes great formers for large flowers.

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:51am
post #8 of 14

if you buy the 2 1/2 dozen eggs (at walmart or kroger) they come in a tray that has indentions that will hold lotsa flowers till they dry. if you're lucky enough to find a plastic tray, you can wash it since eggs were stored on it since i know there are always salmonela warnings. (in case some of the eggs may have cracked & leaked onto the tray)

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:18pm
post #9 of 14

I am loving all these ideas. I think I have tried all of them except for the one where you used foil and the Wilton molds to make more molds. I'll definitely be using that idea.

One I would like to add is crinkle up foil and then pull it apart so that it has hills and valleys and lay the flowers on that. It gives them an out in nature look as they all dry in different ways.

Not my idea BTW, I saw this somewhere on the internet.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:28pm
post #10 of 14

I've used small ice cube trays

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 14

I've used apple card board packing material. Works great and if you ask they will just give it you

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:40am
post #12 of 14

wow!!!! great!

I will try to do the apple card board... if not then the wilton cups and foilicon_smile.gif

200 it alot! I will go mad!!

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 6:53am
post #13 of 14

Funny, I just asked for some apple trays yesterday. LOVE THEM! Mine came with 42 spots. I made some daisies last night. Mine are small, so I was able to put 2 on each side of the curve.

I do like the egg cartons, have those as well. They are good for smaller flowers though. I do my hydrangea in them.

For roses, I like to use plastic spoons. I've seen Ron Ben Israel use larger plastic spoons for his gorgeous roses.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 10:14am
post #14 of 14

Hi!

I made my own flower former for this cake....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1846885.html

I took a coffe mug and placed alum. foil around the top. Dipped it inward to make that concave shape.

Dust it with cornstarch and punch a hole in it, there you go!!

HTH

Michael

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%