Help With Job Search

Business By NDsoll137 Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 2:25pm by NDsoll137

NDsoll137 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NDsoll137 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone, I was wondering if I could maybe get a little input on how to approach a bakery or cake shop in search of a job. I have never worked in one before nor do I have any professional schooling in my past. I am self taught, but am pretty darn good. Do I just go there and like bring a portfolio? What should I say or not say, for that matter? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bobby

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDsoll137

Do I just go there and like bring a portfolio? What should I say or not say, for that matter?

Just go in and fill out a job application (it wouldn't hurt to bring a portfolio along in case they ask, but they may not have time to view it, nor care what you can do in your spare time but rather what you can do for them the way they want it done). Ask if they'll keep your application on file for when they might have an opening. Answer any questions they may have, and that's about all you can do, besides wait for their response. Good luck!

NDsoll137 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 7

They want me to send my resume, but I have no real experience. Any idea what I should put on the resume?

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDsoll137

They want me to send my resume, but I have no real experience. Any idea what I should put on the resume?

As an employer I want to see that you've been a responsible and dependable employee in whatever work you've done in the past. You need to have professional references so they can talk to past employers and ask questions about your attitude, attendance, teamwork, etc.

Even if you haven't worked in a bakery, you need to take in a portfolio of the cakes you've done. That will tell them about your skill level. You might not be able to show them that when you submit your resume. Just put "Portfolio available upon request" at the bottom.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 7

they'll have you make a cake as part of the interview...every place i ever worked did.

if youre good and not as slow as christmas....you have a good chance of getting hired.

good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:17am
post #6 of 7

If you can put about 6 color photos (copies) on one sheet of paper of the cakes you've done and attach it to the resume and/or application when you give that to them, I think that will help. I know I would want to see some samples of work before I called someone for an interview .... OR .... if I had 3 or 4 applicants, I'd call the ones who showed me work samples FIRST.

NDsoll137 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all!

I'm gonna send in a resume with the 6 pictures and see what happens.

I'll let you know if I get the job.

Thanks!
Bobby

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%