Rough Edges On Cut Out Fondant

Decorating By zespri Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 9:43am by AbouttheCake

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:04am
post #1 of 8

I have been making daisies tonight with a daisy cutter, and my fondant (with mixed in tylose) keeps coming out with rough edges. I've been trying to tidy them up with a toothpick, but they don't look perfect. How can I either a) avoid it altogether, or b) fix it in a way easier than with a toothpick?

7 replies
roweeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roweeena Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:22am
post #2 of 8

What are you cutting them on? if you are cutting them on a silicone mat you wont get a crisp cut or if your cutter is dirty (has old gumpaste built up on it) you will get uneven cutting. Roll your gumpaste out and transfer it onto your bench or something smooth and flat.

zespri Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:27am
post #3 of 8

I'm doing it on a hard plastic tray, which I'd just scrubbed clean and dried thoroughly. The cutters are brand new, first time out of the box!

btw, I also tried a little bit of shortening, but that didn't work either.

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:35am
post #4 of 8

I have that problem too! Somebody showed me a trick with stretching glad wrap over your paste first then using your cutter over it, to give a smoother edge. I havn't tried it yet, maybe give it a go?

zespri Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:37am
post #5 of 8

Anything's worth a crack! Also I just remembered seeing a picture of someone who turned their cutters upside down, lay the fondant over them, then rolled a rolling pin over the top. I'll give that a go too.

But I really think there must be an easier way?

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:45am
post #6 of 8

The following is a simple way i was shown to get clean edges on cut outs - cut out flower / shape etc, whilst fondant is still in cutter pick up cutter and turn over (so fondant is facing you), now just run your finger around the edge of the cutter, this rubs off all ragged edges of fondant. Now when you remove fondant cut out from cutter, you have a lovely clean edge! Hope these instructions are clear! icon_confused.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:30am
post #7 of 8

I cut, then without lifting it, I rub back and forth on my work surface.

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:43am
post #8 of 8

Yep, what Emmar said. That's what we do too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%