The Cake Gods Hate Me

Decorating By SugarMoon Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 11:55am by SugarMoon

SugarMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoon Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 8:46am
post #1 of 4

Who'dve thunk a tiny little 6 inch cake would be such a pain? I've got an hour and a half and I'm now waiting for my crumb coat to crust! I admit that it's my fault because I wasted hours trying something new. Why do people think fondant is easier than buttercream? It looked lumpy and turned gooey in certain areas, tearing it to pieces when I tried to smooth over it. Was it too thin? I thought thin was good. Whatever - back to buttercream! I'm sticking with the familiar because there's no time. Harlequin pattern it is! And they're getting their cake in a generic plastic cake container! It's a good thing this is a freebie for a family member icon_rolleyes.gif

3 replies
amandda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandda Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 9:19am
post #2 of 4

im sorry to hear about your difficultys. did u crumb coat before fonant? i hear it helps as to not make the fondant soggy

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 10:34am
post #3 of 4

Soggy? Did you add a dam to the layers before you added the filling? You might try mixing the cake you cut off to level it and buttercream. Apply this mixture like buttercream and then coat the cake in the buttercream, refrigerate for a couple of hours and lastly add fondant (there would then be 2 layers between the cake and the fondant). Don't give up, fondant makes a wonderful surface to work on. HTH

SugarMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoon Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 11:55am
post #4 of 4

I'm thinking wet frosting was the culprit. I had no idea it needed to be crusted over before putting the fondant on. First I had frosted it pink, but suddenly decided I was going to do something OTHER than a harlequin pattern for once in my life. I scraped off all the frosting and re-frosted it light green with only a vague idea of what I was going to do. Then, I suddenly had the brilliant idea of trying my hand at covering a cake in fondant. After all, it's only a little cake. It's a perfect opportunity! First attempt was foiled by my confusion on how to get the wrinkles out. So - I ripped it off and added another thin layer of buttercream. I'm pretty sure I didn't let it crust. The thought never occured to me. I assumed that wet frosting is good because it gives the fondant something to stick to. But it makes sense that it would make fondant soggy. Oh well, you live and you learn.
I don't have any special filling for this cake. It's just flavored buttercream. I can't do the cake crumb/frosting coat because my leveling scraps get eaten pretty much as soon as they're cut off the cake. lol. I guess I'll have to try new things another day. On a positive note, my cake never crumbled apart as I subjected it to all of my frosting abuse. WASC is the best! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%