Meringue Powder - How Can I Use It?

Decorating By zespri Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 8:27am by zespri

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:05am
post #1 of 5

I can't for the life of me find it now, but I read in a book somewhere about making sugar sticks, and it suggested not using fresh egg whites as the sugar sticks would be sitting around for a while. I dutifully ordered some meringue powder (cost me $22 for a small tub!), but now I have been told that meringue powder is not the same thing as dried egg whites. Oops.

So now I'm wondering, how can I use my expensive meringue powder? What is it for?

4 replies
sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:31am
post #2 of 5

Hey, is that the Wilton one? I use mine if making royal icing ... 4C icing sugar to 2T meringue powder and then about 7T water. Seeya

zespri Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:44am
post #3 of 5

hiya, no this is the CK products brand. I just got it out to check the brand for you, and noticed a royal icing recipe on the side. It calls for 1/2c cold water, 1/4c meringue powder and 4 cups icing sugar. yikes!! that's quite different to your ratios, I wonder if it varies by brand?

Nice to see another kiwi, btw icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetooth0510

Hey, is that the Wilton one? I use mine if making royal icing ... 4C icing sugar to 2T meringue powder and then about 7T water. Seeya

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:21am
post #4 of 5

I use the Wilton recipe 4 cups sugar, 3 tablespoons meringue 5-6 tablespoons water. If using a stand mixer mix on low for 7 minutes. You can make royal icing decorations such as the little pony deco I made for one of my cakes in my photos. Ginger bread houses, flowers and some people use it in their butter cream. I don't like using it in butter cream though. Meringue powder has a long shelf life.

zespri Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:27am
post #5 of 5

oh my gosh... that's more than I imagined doing with royal icing, I alwasy think it's just for piping lines and letters icon_razz.gif I can't believe how good that looks. Is that what's called run out icing...? I tried doing that with chocolate recently, it was not successful... lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%