Making And Placing Smaller Fondant Pieces Onto A Cake.

Decorating By MissFluff Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 3:21pm by mayo2222

MissFluff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissFluff Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:54am
post #1 of 6

It's me again with more questions. icon_biggrin.gif I am going to be making my first fondant cake in a week or so. I am planning on making a shetland sheepdog cake. I bought a cookie cutter to cut sheltie shapes out of fondant. So I have two questions:

1. How do you get the fondant "decorations" to stick on the cake? It's not going to be a 3D shape - I just plan on it sitting flat on the cake, and then there are other pieces I want to do on the sides of the cake (like maybe some stripes).

2. How do you get fondant pieces to stick to each other? Like for example I want to do a tri sheltie so I will need to use black, tan, and white fondant to get the colors of the dog on there. What do you use to get one piece of fondant decoration to stick to another?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me! thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:02am
post #2 of 6

I use a tiny bit of water applied with a very thin pain brush or a dab of bc

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:23am
post #3 of 6

I've used water, crisco and a "edible glue"

The edible glue is just 1/4 tsp tylose/gumtex/etc mixed with 2 Tbsp of water. Make sure to keep it refrigerated though. Works great for pieces you want a little extra bonding.

Crisco isn't a great adhesive but I like to use it to put up pieces I know I will move around/adjust because with water/EG the colors will run a tad bit if you move pieces.

Good luck with the Sheltie cake - we have a small tri-color Sheltie named Noraicon_smile.gif

MissFluff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissFluff Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:39am
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much for the help! I'm trying to hold off a little longer on making it to see if I can catch a good sale at craft stores for some of the supplies I will need.

I have two shelties a neutered sable (Smudge) and a spayed tri (Fluffy). icon_cool.gif

As soon as I make it I will see if I can upload a picture of it. I want it to be simple since it is my first fondant cake, but I want it to look nice, too!

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

I've used water, crisco and a "edible glue"

The edible glue is just 1/4 tsp tylose/gumtex/etc mixed with 2 Tbsp of water. Make sure to keep it refrigerated though. Works great for pieces you want a little extra bonding.

Crisco isn't a great adhesive but I like to use it to put up pieces I know I will move around/adjust because with water/EG the colors will run a tad bit if you move pieces.

Good luck with the Sheltie cake - we have a small tri-color Sheltie named Noraicon_smile.gif

icon_surprised.gif uh oh I didn't know you were supposed to keep this refrigerated. Does it go bad?

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, otherwise it will grow mold a lot more quickly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%