Falling Cake

Decorating By bpmd210 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 5:44pm by bpmd210

bpmd210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpmd210 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 3

Hello. Below is the recipe I use. For some reason all of a sudden I'm having trouble with it rising, and then falling and being sunken in the middle. I cream the butter and sugar, add the eggs one at a time, then the other ingredients, then alternate the milk and flour. Baked at 350 until a toothpick is clean. Can anyone help with what might be wrong, or what I might do? I usually use the bake-even strips also. Thanks a lot!

2/3 C butter     
1 ¾ C sugar       
2 eggs        
1 ½ tsp vanilla      
2 ½ C flour      
2 ½ tsp baking powder  
½ tsp salt      
1 ¼ C milk      

3.4 oz vanilla pudding
2 tbsp sour cream

2 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 3

if you've used this recipe in the past w/o problems then i would check the following
1) your ingredients are all fresh, expecially the baking powder, make sure it hasn't expired
2) Get an oven thermometer and make sure that your oven is actually the temp it's suppose to, heat sensors or heating coils can go bad in ovens over time.

bpmd210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpmd210 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

if you've used this recipe in the past w/o problems then i would check the following
1) your ingredients are all fresh, expecially the baking powder, make sure it hasn't expired
2) Get an oven thermometer and make sure that your oven is actually the temp it's suppose to, heat sensors or heating coils can go bad in ovens over time.

Thanks for the help. Baking powder is good. Borrowed a neighbor's thermometer, found out 360 is actually 350. Just baked, and it's better, still fell a little, but mostly in one area. I usually settle the batter down quite a bit, but decided to do it less this time. I spread it evenly in the pan, and then just gave it 2 or 3 bashes to settle it down. Any other thoughts?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%