Baking At Lower Temperature = Flatter Cakes?

Decorating By mimmablue Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 11:46pm by mimmablue

mimmablue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimmablue Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 5

Can anyone testify that this works?

I had a friend mention that she does this and gets much flatter cakes.

I hate cutting the tops off cakes! icon_confused.gif

Or are home-made/bought baking strips/ baking with the flower nail the only way to go...?

4 replies
MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 5

It works for me. I just baked a 6" cake yesterday at 325 and didn't have to level it at all.

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 5

I bake mine at 350...BUT I never preheat my oven more than the 10 minutes it takes me to prep pans and make batter. (It takes about 15-20 minutes to my oven to get up to temp) I also use the convection controls on my stove. It is a natural gas stove if that helps at all.

Once out of the oven I lay a clean kitchen towel on the cakes while still in the pan and press down evently. This flattens the cakes out if there is a slight dome to them. I rarely ever have a need to level.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 5

mimmablue, welcome to CC. I've sent you a separate private message (PM) with a long document I typed on the subject of level cakes and smooth buttercream. Sorry I have to send it that way, but I can bake WAY better than I can use a computer.

I always bake at 325 with bake even strips and have also used the "smash" method immediately after taking out of oven. Zero domes.

mimmablue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimmablue Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the replies! icon_biggrin.gif

I am on a fan-forced celsius oven so would probably try baking at about 110C to start with.

Love the tip about pressing down on the cake too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%