How Many To Make?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 1:14pm by Kiddiekakes

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I'm doing a craft fair in a few weeks, and im trying to do some planning.
I was asked to sell cupcakes at the fair and I am unsure on how many i should make. I'm used to people placing orders for my cakes, the idea of an acting "store-front" baffles me.

I know last year they had roughly 300 people come through... and i want to have enough for buyers/eaters on-site, as well as those that would like the option of buying to take home.

So what do you suggest? I don't want to over make, but not having enough would be horrible!

Thanks!

4 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:51am
post #2 of 5

Personally i would probably do about 300-350. Not everyone is going to buy, and those that do may buy more than one to take with them, or more than one flavor to try them all.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 5

For a craft fair, if they were expecting 300, I'd make 150. Hubby was in craft fairs with his woodworking and people came to craft fairs to buy crafts. "Bake sale" items were a sideline that people MIGHT buy but it's not the purpose of their visit.

I was also in a Christmas bazaar with my cookies. Lots of attention, a few orders down the road, but on-site sales pretty much didn't exist. People were there to buy Christmas gifts, not cookies.

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 5

I think I would make one per person so around 300 or so just to make sure you have enough. Some people may end up wanting more than one cupcake, to me cupcakes are like potato chips, you can't eat just one, but then again I really love cupcakes icon_lol.gif If you end up with a lot of leftover cupcakes you could always crumble them when you get home and make cake balls and freeze them.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 5

I agree with Indydebi....You don't need 300...Maybe half that...I have been in a few craft fairs and spent days baking and setting up my table fancy and had all kinds of goodies...cupcakes,cookies,fancy little christmas bouquets and at the end...nearly nothing went.A few cookies to much on as they passed by and that was about it..I ended up giving a bunch away to other vendors so I woudn't have to take it all home...Spent alot of money thinking I would make lots...Nope!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%