Bake Sale Goods

Decorating By texascakemomma Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 10:46am by texascakemomma

texascakemomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texascakemomma Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:05am
post #1 of 11

I'm baking several cutout cookies with colorflow and cupcakes for the bake sale at my daughter's school for Halloween. Proceeds go to the PTA. Is it tacky to put a small (size of an address label) sticker on the things I bake with my business name and contact info? I just bake out of my home. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

10 replies
mkbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkbutterfly Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:11am
post #2 of 11

I'm interested in this answer too. I want to make several items (cake pops, cookies) for my daughter's fall festival night at her school as well as a really nice fondant covered cake for the cake walk. However, although I am doing to help out, I would really like to get some word-of-mouth advertising for it, if possible. I don't want to be "tacky" about it though. If it would be thought of as "tacky" to put my name/contact info. on the items, I probably won't do a ton of stuff. I will still do the cake, but would have to arrange special for the other items as I don't think the PTO is doing a bake sale as such.

BecL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecL Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:03am
post #3 of 11

texascakemomma, I also run my cake business from home and I have been approached to bake cakes and cupcakes for one of the local school's fetes this weekend. I agreed but asked them if I could put my business cards on the table where they are being sold. They were more than happy to let me do this. My advice is to ask them and see what they say - a lot of fetes I have participated in are more than happy to support my business this way.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:46am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascakemomma

Is it tacky to put a small (size of an address label) sticker on the things I bake with my business name and contact info? I just bake out of my home.

If you have a legal home-based business, it's not tacky to advertise that you're licensed to also sell your products... it makes good business sense if the consumer can contact you with questions about your products. (Wouldn't everyone's products be required to have an ingredients label?)

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 7:20am
post #5 of 11

I give to my school all the time but I never advertise. My daughter goes to a private school where many parents own businesses and we all volunteer. Word of mouth has gotten me known throughout the school without looking like I have an ulterior motive for the donation. A good way to get yourself noticed in those situations is to volunteer often, especially when you are the only one on a particular project.

mkbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkbutterfly Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 11

I think I agree w/ you "scp" I have wanted to get more involved in the PTO and help - but I think it will be kind of obvious that I am "using" the contacts ---- I think I should just get involved more and take it from there. <3 Thanks for your input!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 11

I don't think it would be tacky at all!! If a local bakery were to donate items, you better believe their packaging would include their logo.

JMHO icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 8:02am
post #8 of 11

But a local bakery is not a parent whose child is benefiting from the school. At my school, it would backfire. You get alot more people talking about you when you truly give. My daughter was known as the cupcake girl one year before my business was open. We volunteered for everything and always sent double and triple what was expected. As I said before, many parents who volunteer have businesses (and are your potential clients). They aren't volunteering in order to advertise and it may be looked at as a cheap shot. If you want to volunteer and advertise your business, do it somewhere else. There are plenty of causes that could use baked goods.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:33pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

But a local bakery is not a parent whose child is benefiting from the school. At my school, it would backfire. You get alot more people talking about you when you truly give. My daughter was known as the cupcake girl one year before my business was open. We volunteered for everything and always sent double and triple what was expected. As I said before, many parents who volunteer have businesses (and are your potential clients). They aren't volunteering in order to advertise and it may be looked at as a cheap shot. If you want to volunteer and advertise your business, do it somewhere else. There are plenty of causes that could use baked goods.

I acknowledge that it may depend on the culture of the school. When my kids were young, we experienced numerous corporate transfers, so they attended schools in 4 different states. Some PTO's were very "cliquish" and were run by moms who expected everyone else to conform to their wishes...I was always "class mom" and one teacher confided that she wouldn't have anything to do with the PTO's fund-raisers because the women in charge were so snobby!. So I can see that if there is pervasive judgmentalism, then you might not want to put a sticker on a cupcake.

More recently, my daughters were in marching band, and one of the band member's parents owned a local bbq restaurant...they were always donating food for band functions and their sandwiches came in the restaurant's logo-imprinted wrappers. It generated nothing but good will for the restaurant.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 11

Advertising never hurts so even if you are asked to donate I don't see is as being pushy or snobby....My cake labels go on everything that walks out the door and I have never had negative feedback from anyone at the school...come to think of it...they make the comments that you are Kiddiekakes..the lady who made the cupcakes and donated the teacher cake last year......icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif...I get lots of business from it...We are all like a little coop at the school...we try to support everyone's business ventures...some Mom's cut hair..some Dayhome,some sell Tupperware,Pampered chef etc..we all take the catologs etc when someone is having a party if we want stuff we buy if not nobody gets offended but I would rather buy/contribute to a stay at home Mom trying to make a little money selling Tupperware than a huge store like Walmart.JMO icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

texascakemomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texascakemomma Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 10:46am
post #11 of 11

I decided not to advertise afterall. I live in TX and therefore am not liscensed because of the current law...I don't think anyone would have turned me in, but you never know. My oldest is in Kindergarten so I'm new at this! Thanks for all the input, it gave me a lot to consider.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%