Reducing Sugar In A Recipe

Baking By cosmogurl Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 4:06am by cheatize

cosmogurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cosmogurl Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:03am
post #1 of 3

I have a great cheesecake recipe. It takes 1 1/2 cups of sugar. I want to lower the amount of sugar to make it for my mom who is diabetic. I do not want to use a sugar substitute.Can I reduce the amount of sugar to say 1 cup without jeopardizing the outcome?

2 replies
cosmogurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cosmogurl Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 3

Nobody has any advice on this?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:06am
post #3 of 3

I have a cheesecake recipe that I convert to nearly sugar-free. I just substitute Splenda for the sugar. I've found that the flavor of Splenda develops over time so it won't taste as sweet as you expect it to at first. I don't sub 1 for 1 because then it's too sweet. I use anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of the amount of sugar called for in the recipe. I also go ahead and add a pinch or two of real sugar otherwise Splenda doesn't bake or taste right to me.

You can also sub crushed pretzels for the graham crackers to lower the sugar even more. It won't taste the same, but it should be acceptable.

Other than that, you just have to realize it's not just the sugar that's a problem for diabetics. It's mostly the carbs. They cannot gorge on it just because it's low/no sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%