I Couldnt Stop Screaming All The Way To The Venue!!!

Decorating By StephsCakes72 Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 5:51am by MJTKNT

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 7:51pm
post #31 of 38

I agree, any hatch-back type vehicle is better for cake deliver than a car. I cringe when I have clients come to pick up cakes and say they're just going to set it on the back seat. I suggest to them bring someone hold it in their lap or at least prop up the back side with something so that it sits level (just hope they don't have to slam on the brakes!).

I use to own a true SUV but now have a crossover (Nissan Murano) as I wanted something that rode more like a car, less like a truck and also had the hatch-back area where I could comfortably put a cake. It's also much easier on the back to be able to reach in for something that's at hip height rather than try to lift it off the floor.

For budget cars, there are some smaller hatch-back type vehicles on the market that seem pretty reasonable like the Ford Fiesta, Nissan Juke, Chevy Aveo to name a few. (Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a car salesman!!)

StephsCakes72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephsCakes72 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:31pm
post #32 of 38

Yes, Kitagirl, the street are just horrible here and the mock me. icon_smile.gif

LuluSweetArt, I think that I'll be getting a Dodge Caliber. Has it been reliable for you? My fiance recently purchased a Dodge Nitro, and he likes it. I would use that, but he needs his vehicle for his work.

JawDroppingCakes, it scares me to see some of the vehicles that will carry the cake. YUCK!

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:42pm
post #33 of 38

I own a Tahoe and deliver my cakes in that... but I don't leave them in the trunk area, that's too scary for me! I put them in the front seat, propped up on something to keep it level.

Do a lot of you really just put your cakes in the trunk area on non-slip material? I would have a heart attack around every turn!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:50pm
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy_in_my_tummy

I own a Tahoe and deliver my cakes in that... but I don't leave them in the trunk area, that's too scary for me! I put them in the front seat, propped up on something to keep it level.

Do a lot of you really just put your cakes in the trunk area on non-slip material? I would have a heart attack around every turn!!

well, when you say "trunk" and "tahoe" in the same sentence, I'm confused. Does a Tahoe have a "open the lid from the outside and you can't see the contents from inside the truck" type of trunk? Or do you just mean in the far back?

I'm a "just in the far back" person, when I delivered in a Jeep Cherokee. later, I had a cargo van and I just lined 'em up on the floor of the van, secured by no-skid material. I didn't have to literally watch them during the drive .... I was too busy watching the road while I was driving. icon_wink.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:11am
post #35 of 38

i believe she means the open cargo bay area, my father inlaw has a tahoe. used to be his patrol rig.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:46am
post #36 of 38

Yes! I mean the far back - sorry for the confusion! I always have one eye on the road and one eye on the cake in the front seat! WATCH OUT WORLD! icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:14am
post #37 of 38

I have a ford explorer. i have a thick rubber mat(maybe 1 1/2 - 2 " thick, cut the size of the back. Then i lay an egg crate foam the size of this mat on top of the mat, then the non skid stuff on top of that. I love this set up for me. hth yes, we all are nervous when delivering , especially a wedding cake. I just keep this set up in the back all the time.

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:51am
post #38 of 38

I've had this panic twice in the last couple weeks. I drive a Buick Enclave- TONS of flat open space in the back with the seats down. However, it was in the shop for a minor fix when, woops, they found something major. They had it for THREE weeks. I had two cakes to deliver in the little Chevy Malibu they gave me as a rental. My heart was in my stomach the entire drive both times...and it was worse at the beginning of the ride b/c I live on a brick street-- a REALLY bumpy one that's not level anymore and has a lot of holes and waves. Talk about sick!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%