Sold For 80.00 At A Silent Auction....

Decorating By grandmaruth Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm by grandmaruth

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 12

oh well...it was for a good cause icon_biggrin.gif (Fall Basket with Chocolate Pumpkins- its in my photos-i tried to upload it...unable to... icon_sad.gif

11 replies
cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 12

Don't be down...you know most people don't know what a fabulous cake like that is REALLY worth!! It is truly gorgeous!

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 12

It's really beautiful. You know, most cake muggles believe that $80 is a fortune for a cake. They just have no idea how much time, money, and expertise goes into making a piece of cake art.

cakesbybeccam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybeccam Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 12

Your cake is beautiful! I looked at your photo gallery and added several of your cakes to my favs!! You are very talented! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 12

I agree, most have no idea what it takes to make such beautiful work out of cake. Your stuff is beautiful and like you said at least it went to a good cause. Great job.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 12

i agree that to most people, $80 is a fortune (and some might say a ridiculous fortune!) for "just a cake". Add to that, at auctions, people expect to get a treasure for just next to nothing.

So the fact that someone paid (gasp!) $80 for an AUCTION item, (and a church auction at that, where its a limited audience of folks who are there to "help out" the church), I would consider that a very high compliment on your work. thumbs_up.gif Very high.

It is a true masterpiece. regardless of the price it brought in you must be very proud to have this in your portfolio!

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 12

Also keep in mind that since it is a perishable item, unless someone has an event in the next couple days many people aren't going to want to pay a lot of money for something that may end up being thrown away. Maybe if you do it again, offer a gift certificate for future use and bring your portfolio so people can get an idea of your work and what they could be getting.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbymindysue

Also keep in mind that since it is a perishable item, unless someone has an event in the next couple days many people aren't going to want to pay a lot of money for something that may end up being thrown away. Maybe if you do it again, offer a gift certificate for future use and bring your portfolio so people can get an idea of your work and what they could be getting.

Or a dummy display of a sample cake?

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 12

I know first hand that donating things for auction can be hit or miss. I had some things go for next to nothing and others go for hundreds of dollars.

grandmaruth Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you Thank you Thank you all...my first time doing this and i knew it could go either way...was hoping for the"other way"...i left business cards...maybe i will get some calls from it icon_biggrin.gif ...Thank you all ..your support means so much....also...Great suggestions Mindysue and Debi icon_biggrin.gif ..that sounds like the plan for next time.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 6:39pm
post #11 of 12

So, what's more important? It didn't raise as much as you would have liked for your church (but $80 is not too shabby IMHO)...or that...

Over 70 cake decorators with discerning taste made it a favorite?????

Me, I'd take all those those faves icon_twisted.gif it's a fabulous cake!

grandmaruth Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

So, what's more important? It didn't raise as much as you would have liked for your church (but $80 is not too shabby IMHO)...or that...

Over 70 cake decorators with discerning taste made it a favorite?????

Me, I'd take all those those faves icon_twisted.gif it's a fabulous cake!

Thank you so much....you are right!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%