Sold For 80.00 At A Silent Auction....

Decorating By grandmaruth Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm by grandmaruth

grandmaruth Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 12

oh well...it was for a good cause icon_biggrin.gif (Fall Basket with Chocolate Pumpkins- its in my photos-i tried to upload it...unable to... icon_sad.gif

11 replies
cakemama2010 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 12

Don't be down...you know most people don't know what a fabulous cake like that is REALLY worth!! It is truly gorgeous!

FACSlady Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 12

It's really beautiful. You know, most cake muggles believe that $80 is a fortune for a cake. They just have no idea how much time, money, and expertise goes into making a piece of cake art.

cakesbybeccam Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 12

Your cake is beautiful! I looked at your photo gallery and added several of your cakes to my favs!! You are very talented! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Cakegirl313 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 12

I agree, most have no idea what it takes to make such beautiful work out of cake. Your stuff is beautiful and like you said at least it went to a good cause. Great job.

indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 12

i agree that to most people, $80 is a fortune (and some might say a ridiculous fortune!) for "just a cake". Add to that, at auctions, people expect to get a treasure for just next to nothing.

So the fact that someone paid (gasp!) $80 for an AUCTION item, (and a church auction at that, where its a limited audience of folks who are there to "help out" the church), I would consider that a very high compliment on your work. thumbs_up.gif Very high.

It is a true masterpiece. regardless of the price it brought in you must be very proud to have this in your portfolio!

cakesbymindysue Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 12

Also keep in mind that since it is a perishable item, unless someone has an event in the next couple days many people aren't going to want to pay a lot of money for something that may end up being thrown away. Maybe if you do it again, offer a gift certificate for future use and bring your portfolio so people can get an idea of your work and what they could be getting.

indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbymindysue

Also keep in mind that since it is a perishable item, unless someone has an event in the next couple days many people aren't going to want to pay a lot of money for something that may end up being thrown away. Maybe if you do it again, offer a gift certificate for future use and bring your portfolio so people can get an idea of your work and what they could be getting.

Or a dummy display of a sample cake?

adonisthegreek1 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 12

I know first hand that donating things for auction can be hit or miss. I had some things go for next to nothing and others go for hundreds of dollars.

grandmaruth Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you Thank you Thank you all...my first time doing this and i knew it could go either way...was hoping for the"other way"...i left business cards...maybe i will get some calls from it icon_biggrin.gif ...Thank you all ..your support means so much....also...Great suggestions Mindysue and Debi icon_biggrin.gif ..that sounds like the plan for next time.

Elcee Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 6:39pm
post #11 of 12

So, what's more important? It didn't raise as much as you would have liked for your church (but $80 is not too shabby IMHO)...or that...

Over 70 cake decorators with discerning taste made it a favorite?????

Me, I'd take all those those faves icon_twisted.gif it's a fabulous cake!

grandmaruth Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

So, what's more important? It didn't raise as much as you would have liked for your church (but $80 is not too shabby IMHO)...or that...

Over 70 cake decorators with discerning taste made it a favorite?????

Me, I'd take all those those faves icon_twisted.gif it's a fabulous cake!

Thank you so much....you are right!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%