Buying First Airbrush - Suggestions, Please

Decorating By Sunshine0063 Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 12:09pm by tigerhawk83

Sunshine0063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0063 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 7:22am
post #1 of 2

I'm going to be getting my first airbrush. Any suggestions on the best one for your first, also on a budget so can't be real expensive.
Has anyone used Americolors airbrush. Any advise on the pros and cons of the $69.00 vs the $99.00 one.
Or do you have any suggestions of other brands?

Thanks so much in advance for any help

1 reply
tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 2

I bought my first kit on eBay from TCP Global and was relatively happy. I don't think it's the airbrush itself that's important - I think it's the compressor. All of the these little ones that run 20-30 PSI are adequate for food colorings, but because they have no air storage, the stream of air was occasionally a little intermittent. Recently I went out to my local hardware store and bought a 1 gallon pancake compressor and a pressure regulator and connected my airbrush to that and am much happier.

Having said that - I'm actually glad I started with a smaller $69 kit first because it gave me the feel of how to use it, it had all the pieces so I didn't have to worry about whether the connections fit or not, and I started to get the hang of it without worrying about blowing a hole in my icing icon_surprised.gif from too much air pressure. I'm now back selling my original kit on eBay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%