Did I Do Something Wrong With The Sps?

Decorating By DesignerWoman Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 2:34am by DesignerWoman

DesignerWoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerWoman Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:41am
post #1 of 19

Hello Everyone,

I made my first wedding cake two weeks ago, and I had a problem with the single plate system. When I pressed the legs into the cake the plate bowed. No matter what I did the plate would not sit flat and left a gap between tiers. I had to fill buttercream between the cake board and SPS plate to stabilize the tiers and then cover the gap with a ribbon of fondant. Did I do something wrong? I followed the instructions for the SPS that I found here at Cake Central, but am I missing something?

Thank you in advance,
DesignerWoman

18 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:54am
post #2 of 19

Did you need to trim the legs? Were they taller than the cake tier?

DesignerWoman Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:59am
post #3 of 19

Yes, I made sure my legs were the same height as the cake tiers.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:07am
post #4 of 19

I'm not a SPS expert, but I cut my legs just slightly shorter than the height of the tier.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:21am
post #5 of 19

I know you said you follow the directions on here, but I'm going to ask anyways; Did you pop off the rings on the plate?

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:21am
post #6 of 19

Did you remember to poke a little hole in the center of the cardboard circle?

silverc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverc Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:24am
post #7 of 19

The same think happened to me. I usually use the clear SPS plates, but this was a square cake and the place I order from only had the square plates in white. The white plate was no where near as stable as the clear. It started flexing as soon as I tried to press the legs into the cake. Thank goodness I had a ribbon boarder so I could hide it a little!

Karen421 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:27am
post #8 of 19

Huh - all my plates are white, I need to look into clear ones. icon_rolleyes.gif

DesignerWoman Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:29am
post #9 of 19

Yup, I poped the rings off and I poked the hole in the boards, I'm stumped on what went wrong.

silverc are the clear ones that much thicker then the white ones?

Karen421 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:36am
post #10 of 19

If your tier was level, and you cut the legs equally to the top of the tier - I'm not sure why there was a gap. Sorry - I'm sure someone else will have and idea. detective.gif

DianneandBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianneandBrad Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:44am
post #11 of 19

I tried the square plates as well today and it didn't work out for the wedding cake I was doing. I heard putting double sided carpet tape on the plate would secure the cardboard the cake was sitting on, but the tape didn't stick to the cardboard or sit level. I think the tape didn't stick because there may have been frosting or grease from the buttercream on it after handling it too much. Any suggestions?

Karen421 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:52am
post #12 of 19

If you put the little hole in the cardboard & it "pops" in place it should hold it, but I have used melted chocolate before, and that worked well. (almost to well - I did have a hard time removing one once) icon_lol.gif

silverc Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:52am
post #13 of 19

The clear plates I have are stronger than the white ones. I can bend the white plates with very little effort, but the clear plates don't bend much at all.

Karen421 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:57am
post #14 of 19

Where did you find the clear plates?

silverc Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:02am
post #15 of 19

I order the clear plates from fondant source dot com. They are the cheapest place I have found, and if you enter cakecentral as the coupon code at checkout you get 10% off the total order.

Karen421 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:23am
post #16 of 19

Thanks, I love the white ones so I am going to try the clear!!! thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:54am
post #17 of 19

Hmmm . . .I have had a few plates bow a bit, but the weight of the cake sitting on them straightened them out. If there was a gap between the plate and the cake, then the legs were too tall/cake too short. I've never tried the clear plates!

DesignerWoman Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:59pm
post #18 of 19

I might need to try the clear ones and see if they work better then the white ones.

DesignerWoman Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:34am
post #19 of 19

Anyone know where I can order the clear SPS that will ship to Canada?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%