Why Can't I Find A Wow Recipe?

Decorating By zespri Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 8:41am by Evoir

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 10

As a relative newbie to the cake scene, I have been trying all sorts of different recipes, trying to find some with the WOW factor. You know, when people say wow at the taste of it.

So far I just keep failing, and it's starting to get to me. So many people rave about WASC, but I've tried it five times now and have finally decided it's not for me. I was given a chocolate cake recipe by the teacher of a short cake deocorating class I took, but that is only a 'good' recipe. Is the reason because people don't share their WOW recipes? (I'm not judging that) Or am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

I just tried another recipe and feel like I've wasted more time and more ingredients. I'm also wondering if it's because most of the recipes I try are american, and are geared towards american ingredients. For example our shortening here in NZ is nothing like Crisco, neither is our butter. And a huge proportion of them are crossed off the list immediately because they are based on a boxed mix. Boxed mixes are nothing to write home about here, I would not use one.

Just having a whinge really! Has anyone else gone through this process, and come out the other side with some WOW recipes? Tell me there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that I'll eventually find some! Where did you find yours?

9 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:08am
post #2 of 10

It all depends on what means WOW to you and your customers.
My recipes work for my people, others have something completely different that my folks would hate.
Some of the Australian ladies like the recipes on www.taste.com.au

What are you looking for... fresh flavors, a particular texture?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:23am
post #3 of 10

I totally know what you mean. But "WOW" is very subjective. I've had cakes/icings I wasn't impressed about and others were "wowed". And I've become worse since I've become a decorator. I'm extremely critical and hardly ever get wowed. Once you have your texture satisfied, I think A lot of it has to do with the flavorings. I found a flavoring I like for my butter cream and finally LOVE it...others may not be as impressed as I am! LOL I'm still working on the wow factor for my cakes.

zespri Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:27am
post #4 of 10

of course you are right, WOW depends on who is eating it. What i'm looking for is cakes that make people keep coming back for more. I made a cake once which I took to work, and it turned out there were only a couple of us in the office that day. One of the guys went back for SIX pieces. Now that's a wow cake! Then my friend came over and had some of the leftovers. She demolished the entire rest of the cake, licked her plate, then demanded I make THAT cake for her wedding.

I'm looking for more of that kind of recipe... so far it's my only one, and I can't keep making it all the time icon_smile.gif

Anyway, thanks for the reply, I think I really just felt low at the time of posting because I'd just tasted yet another failure. Just venting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

It all depends on what means WOW to you and your customers.
My recipes work for my people, others have something completely different that my folks would hate.
Some of the Australian ladies like the recipes on www.taste.com.au

What are you looking for... fresh flavors, a particular texture?

granniehelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
granniehelen Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:28am
post #5 of 10

Believe it or not, the cake I get the most WOW's about is the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake. It is moist and fudgy and never fails. Not sturdy enough for carving or wedding, but you can't beat it for taste.

zespri Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:31am
post #6 of 10

That is actually printed out and watiing on my recipe book holder! I have read in several threads that people really love this cake, so I am going to give it a go. We can't get Hershey's here, so I'm hoping that's not the secret ingredient that makes it so good. It'll be a Cadbury's Perfectly Chocolate cake instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by granniehelen

Believe it or not, the cake I get the most WOW's about is the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake. It is moist and fudgy and never fails. Not sturdy enough for carving or wedding, but you can't beat it for taste.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 7:40am
post #7 of 10

I am always searching for a wow cake to top my last wow cake. Here is what I did... start researching the science of baking. Look at the recipes you like and look for common factors. Then start looking on the internet for info and read the books of the pros. This will teach you how to change recipes to get the results you want. I am naming american authors, but all use weights as measurement, so hopefully this will help. This is my go-to list and I am sure others will share their favorites:

I'm Just Here For More Food, by Alton Brown
Bakewise, by Shirley Corriher
Rose's Heavenly Cakes, by Rose Levy Berenbaum
The Cake Bible, by Rose Levy Berenbaum
Great Cakes, by Carol Walter

Another tip, all can be found used on amazon.com (if you have that without tons of shipping)

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 8:16am
post #8 of 10

Yep, as an Aussie I have to agree with the last poster. Its all about understanding the whys and wherefores of the baking sciences, buying a lot of different ingredients and doing a hella lot of experimenting!

I've been doing this for some years now and my repertoire is still an evolving work in progress! I believe you never stop learning and you should always strive to improve both your methods and your end product.

Good luck and don't give up!!!

PS - What type of cake is your best-ever?

zespri Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 8:21am
post #9 of 10

right, I'm on the lookout for those books, they're pretty expensive so I'm watching online auctions for them. I'm determined to have a repotoire of wow cakes!

Evoir - best ever was a caramel mud, with dulce de leche filling, and caramel butter cream with milk chocolate accents. *drool drool* but then I'm rather a fan of caramel!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 8:41am
post #10 of 10

See?! I am still working on perfecting my caramel mud as I am not 100% happy with it just yet icon_smile.gif

Yours sounds delicious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%