Wedding And Groom Cake To Feed 175 - 200

Decorating By Bubbl3h3ad Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 9:05pm by jenscreativity

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 5

I know this has been answered before because I saw it in the forum one time. Well, now I can't find it and I can't remember the answer. I'm so sorry to post this question again. The bride has told me that she wants a wedding cake and a groom's cake. There are going to be around 200 people to serve. So I know that the groom's cake is not supposed to serve 200 also. Is the wedding cake to be 200 servings and the groom's cake to be 1/2 of that or 1/3 of that number? Or is the wedding cake to be less than 200 servings and the groom's cake make up for it? I am so totally confused now. I plan to make the wedding cake to serve around 200 so just how many should the groom's cake serve in this case? Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

4 replies
jessica14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessica14 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 5

I recently did a wedding cake and a grooms cake also. The bride told me they were expecting 225 people but a lot didn't show up and they had a lot of cake left over. The groom had wanted a bronco logo shaped cake in addition to the wedding cake. To make this cake, I used the 16-in square and carved it out...didn't make a whole lot of extra cake, but I think we got an extra 25 pieces out of it! I made the wedding cake using 16, 12, and 8-inch square pans. If you go by Wilton standards, the 16 and 12 tiers should feed 200 by themselves as the tradition is to freeze the top tier. The couple planned to serve the top tier also (giving them a total of 238 servings just in the wedding cake!!) but chose to make the grooms cake the same flavor...that way they had more of the flavor they both loved. My opinion is make the wedding cake to serve the number of people and make the grooms cake however he wants it...if he has an opinion in that icon_smile.gif Hope this helps!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 5

Why not just ask the couple what they want? Perhaps they only want enough cake to serve everyone, so you would then have to split up the total amount of serves between the bride's cake and the groom's cake. Then I would offer 1/3 serves as groom's cake and see what their response is.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 5

I would think that the total amt of servings is to be 200 servings.
Depending on what the bride wants in the way of her wedding cake may dictate the amt of wedding cake servings and grooms cake servings.
I would ask the bride if she has any preferance in the amt of servings she wants the cakes to be.
When I have done cakes for 200 servings at a wedding. I have done the Wedding cake for 150 servings and the Grooms cake for 50.
I hope that helps. icon_smile.gif

I am sure you quoted a price for 200 servings and if you did the wedding cake for 200 and then a grooms cake you would have to charge more or take a loss.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 5

Depends how the groom cake is to be decorated along with the wedding cake. Decor is the answer here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%