Black Ribbon Bleeding On White Fondant

Decorating By imanah Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 4:56pm by imanah

imanah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanah Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 7:33am
post #1 of 3

so here is somthng

I had a wedding cake and I was putting black ribbon on the base (from michaels).

The black color ended up getting on the fondant.

What I think triggered ths reaction is that I rubbed the cake in crisco after watching a how to video which reccomended doing that to get an even shine on the cake.

It was a mess and it just looked dirty.

I had to wipe it off using lemon extract.

What would you guys do with an order like that? I feel like it is unnacceptable for that to even happen.

I was able to clean it up but It is just so annoying. Should I point it out to the customer?

2 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 8:16am
post #2 of 3

NO! Why would you point out a flaw, particuarly when it sounds like the flaw has been tidied away?!
If there's still a noticeable problem, you can wait to here from them, or make the first move, although it might be they never noticed anyway - as the maker of the cake u are aware of so much more than the client, who probably just sees a beautiful cake.
There are other methods of doing ribbon, like applying wax paper to the back, which might be worth it if you use the crisco again.
Not sure exactly what your referring to as unacceptable?
xx

imanah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanah Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 3

You are right brincess. But as you know when making a cake I hate it when these things take time away from me. Of course you live and learn. I feel like it should not happen (thats why it is unacceptable). I am extremely critcial of myself.

i may try the wax paper but I will forgo the cisco next time.

Thanks for your reply.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%