Home Made Baking Strips

Decorating By Hitch Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 12:15pm by tigerhawk83

Hitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hitch Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone know how to makes these please.

10 replies
debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 11

You can cut strips of a towel, fold it a few times for thickness. Get it wet and wrap it around the cake pan and fasten with a pin. I've seen some people on here wrap the towel in aluminum foil.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 11

another thing that works the same (or almost) is fan-folding a long strip of heavy duty aluminum foil and wrap it around teh sides of your pan fixed with a paper clip

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 11

I just use towels, cut in a 4 inch strip, fold to 2 inches. I wet mine and then stick them in the freezer before I start any mixing. When its time to pour in the pans i take them out and they are pliable enough to still wrap around and pin. I also use a flower nail as well. Bake as normal.

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 11

I use 4 inches of towel folded in half and held together with a binder clip. I soak them in cold water and wring them out before I use them. Wrap it around the cake pan and clip with the binder clip. I also use a flower nail on large cakes.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:29am
post #6 of 11

Mine are sized like Jayde and bakerliz. I used an old worn bath towel for mine. After I folded mine lengthwise I ran a quick zigzag so they stay folded. You can use any length you want. Mine are long and if there is extra length for the pan I am using I just kind of roll it up and lay it next to the pin/binder clip on the oven rack.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 5:48am
post #7 of 11

Oh you use fabric towels? I thought it was paper towels you all used?

Can someone clarify please as I would like to try using this method soon.

TIA

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 6:16am
post #8 of 11

Actually, LisaPeps, in the Fannie Farmer baking book, terry cloth towel is EXACTLY what is recommended. Just measure around the cake pan (Fannie recommends 1 inch strips wrapped around the pan twice) So, for a 12 inch by 2 inch deep pan, that would be a 48 inch long piece of terry towel. However, I think that the ladies above have a better method of doubling the towel in half and just wrapping the pan that way. What you do is soak the towel in very cold water and wring out until still wet but not dripping. Then you wrap the pan starting at the bottom and wrap a second time along the top and secure with a large safety pin.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 6:24am
post #9 of 11

Old towels, that you don't want to give to your husband for garage work. Old towels, you're embarrassed to use yourself.

The towels your mother in law gave you, that weren't the right color or quality and she forgot she gave them to you.

The rattier, the better they work.

The above towels are the best candidates.

Cut in 2" wide strips, soak, wring out and wrap around your pans, secure with cooking twine. Bake at 325F.

I suggest the 2" wide because you can always put more strips on if needed. My land of TX, it's been known to happen that I need 4 layers.

I do love the idea of freezing the stinkers, that's brilliant!

CAKELADIE1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKELADIE1 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 7:08am
post #10 of 11

I use the wet towel strips also, but I glued mine to the pan with silicone glue so I don't have to wrap them each time. I just soak them in the sink each time before baking. It saves me so much time.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 12:15pm
post #11 of 11

I used scrap fleece off the remnant table. I prefer fleece over old towels for 2 reasons - hold more water and don't ravel or fray. And since fleece is 60" wide, you can cut a long strip without having to piece it together. It is a little stretchy when wet, so I trim them a little after I've used it once. I hold them together on the cake pan with those little metal binder clips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%