Question For Canadians?

Decorating By wannabe_cake_maker Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 4:13am by Luffie

wannabe_cake_maker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wannabe_cake_maker Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 20

What do you buy in the U.S. that you can't get here in Canada?

19 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 20

I used to get Americolor all the time but now a few Canadian online stores carries it...Special pans...molds...but more and more Flour Confections,Goldas Kitchen and Icing Images are carrying what I need.

obsessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obsessed Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 20

only thing I've ever ordered was some stencils and the shipping was almost as much as the stencils themselves.... icon_smile.gif

cakes are only a hobby for me, though, and Golda's carries most of what I need/want....

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 20

Viva paper towels and white chocolate pudding mix (Jello). I also stock up on Duncan Hines mixes because they are quite a bit cheaper.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 12:05am
post #5 of 20

Cherry cakes - our Loblaws sells the white choc pudding. I don't know if you have an equivilent store there?

cherrycakes Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:05am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaat

Cherry cakes - our Loblaws sells the white choc pudding. I don't know if you have an equivilent store there?

I think Loblaws is like our Superstore which sells sugar free white choc. pudding but not the regular - not sure why that is!

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:26am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Viva paper towels and white chocolate pudding mix (Jello). I also stock up on Duncan Hines mixes because they are quite a bit cheaper.

Ditto on all the above. Duncan Hines mixes come in several flavours not available here. Also, Hershey cocoa powder. Several different flavours of International Delight Coffee creamers not available here also. (used for flavouring buttercream...yummy!) icon_wink.gif

cherrycakes Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:12am
post #8 of 20

Oh, I forgot about the Hershey's Special Dark cocao - also the Ghiradelli white chocolate chips.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:37am
post #9 of 20

I shop in buffalo all the time. I go to twin city bakers and get all my fondant, sweetex for buttercream and those sorts of things. I also get cake mixes that I can't get here. I found that I love roaming thru target for cake stands that are much cheaper then here. I have to confess thu icon_redface.gif most tips and cutters I purchase from the UK.

FloraFlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloraFlora Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:47am
post #10 of 20

I buy stencils and cutters that I can't find here in Canada, or if their price is much much cheaper.
You do have to watch for the shipping unless you are actually traveling to the U.S.

wannabe_cake_maker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wannabe_cake_maker Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 20

What about high ratio shortening? Do you buy that there? If so, how much is it?

I have been going crazy wanting to buy the bubble tea straws but everywhere I checked had huge shipping costs and was either from the states or from Thailand. I don't have any oriental stores near me so I can't get them from there. Finally I was going through flour confections site and saw that they have them. Holy moly, finally i have found a Canadian place that has them and they are only $2.95. Great price.

A friend of mine is going to the states next month for Black Friday so I will be asking her to get me a few things like the viva paper towels and the hershey's cocoa.

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 20

My parents bring things up for me here and there but I feel we are definitely shorted here. I get Viva from the US and molds and various cutters. Also petal dusts and things I find www.globalsugarart.com to be the best so far. Also a tip on the bubble straws grab a handful next time you are in a Macs store.

mandice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandice Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:47pm
post #13 of 20

i agree with luvbuttercream, i find that the Mac's froster straws are almost the same as the bubble tea straws. and they're free! and much longer than regular bbt straws

however, there's an asian grocery chain called T&T, i'm pretty sure there are some all across Canada, and they (or at least the 2 that i've frequented) carry the bubbletea straws and i cant help but feel they cost less than $3. it's been a while since i bought any but i remember being pleasantly surprised that they werent too costly.

i've been noticing the grocery stores in my area (GTA) have had the DH or BC cakes mixes on sale for $0.99 for quite some time. it used to go on sale so rarely that i would hoard them lol but now it's like every other week. how much are you finding it for in the states? i was under the impression that $0.99 was pretty good considering.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:01pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I used to get Americolor all the time but now a few Canadian online stores carries it...Special pans...molds...but more and more Flour Confections,Goldas Kitchen and Icing Images are carrying what I need.

PM Hobbycraft on 32nd Ave NE has Americolor now also! If they would just switch to 4" tall dummies rather than 3" I would be much happier!

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:15pm
post #15 of 20

tubbs
i agree about the dummies. they could also stand to carry way more stuff b/c im sure it would all sell. i think it sucks that we have to pay so much in shipping/duty when ordering from the us so i really try to find what i can here in canada but even then sometimes the shipping can get up there if ordering something heavier. i thought i read somewhere that when ordering from the uk we dont get charged duty so that might be something to look into.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:56pm
post #16 of 20

Hi Natalie,

That's good to know about PM but I'm sure they are the small 75 oz bottles.I buy almost all my colors in the 13 oz size so the little ones are no good for me...It would cost me to drive out to the NE anyways so I figure the shipping from Golda's or Flour confections is worth me not having to drive around town.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:27pm
post #17 of 20

All true for me also. Useful to know if we need something in a hurry though.

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 10:15pm
post #18 of 20

Hello Fellow Country CC'ers:
I'm Canadian (Born in Toronto) but currently live in Pennsylvania, USA.
I would love to have some Cdn. CC pen pals. We drive to Canada frequently, as it's only 4 hours to the border to visit my family.

I took some cake classes last March with Carrie Biggers from Ultimate Cake Off, but I took them in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, and not here in the US. It was worth the 6 hour drive, and I learned a lot from Carrie. She had us make our very own batch of scratch fondant at the class and use it to cover dummy cakes and make hydrangea flowers with it.

Let me know if you have any cake supply questions or just want to talk cake, ok? Thanks in advance, happy caking!

Neecerator icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_wink.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

poomagoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poomagoo Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:19am
post #19 of 20

Being an expat from the UK, I found that a lot of the things I was used to picking up in regular stores aren't available here so was glad when I discovered Creative Cutters sell a lot of the fab UK brands like Sugarflair plus she carries UK boards, drums and dummies (which are much better than I can get anywhere else). I also pop down to McCalls Bakers Warehouse every so often when I need fondant. Both of them ship Canada wide and if you spend a lot, its worth paying the $25 to get the wholesale prices at McCalls.

Isn't it frustrating though that many US stockists charge so much for postage to Canada. Half the time it works out cheaper for me to get things sent over from the UK instead icon_eek.gif! For those that do order from the US, do you usually get stung for customs charges? I haven't been brave enough to risk it yet but do fancy ordering a few books from The Book Depository as they are much cheaper than Amazon.ca.

Neecerator - just got and replied to your PM thumbs_up.gif

Luffie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luffie Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:13am
post #20 of 20

I live in Ontario - Every store I go in I look for Viva paper towels, I'll stop wasting my time now that I know they aren't sold here lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%