Cover Rice Krispy Treats With Fondant

Decorating By apesusi Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 5:33pm by smbegg

apesusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apesusi Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 7

Help!

I'm trying to cover a Rice Krispy treat shaped rocket with fondant and am not having any luck!

I covered it with buttercream, but maybe my buttercream is too thin? It ends up being really bumpy because of the cereal.

Can someone help me?

6 replies
mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 7

You need to compact your RKT more if possible. Some people use chocolate to smooth it out, but maybe just add some stiffer BC and/or try using thicker fondant so that the bottom of the fondant helps fill in the cracks but everything else stays smooth on the outside

Don't know if that helps

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 7

There was another post on this recently where someone said they use a microplane to "file" the bumps off their figure before covering in fondant. Then they used the shaving dust to fill in any holes. I haven't tried it, but sounds like a great idea.

If it is too late and you can't do that, try a thin layer of fondant to cover the bumps, then another thicker layer to get a smooth finish.

HTH

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 7

For my 3D cake figures using RKT, I cover with melted candy melts. I use a pastry brush and put on several coats until I'm sure that all holes are filled. Then I let it sit long enough to be sure that everything is solid and smooth with a hot knife. I brush the figure with a little apricot glaze or thinned corn syrup before applying the fondant to ensure a good "stick." I've had really good luck with this and get a really nice smooth fondant surface. I just couldn't get there with buttercream.....

apesusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apesusi Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you!!! I'll give it my best shot. I'm not very good with covering things in fondant yet. I can't figure out how to get things smooth at the bottom with all the excess fondant but I'm working on it.

Thanks again!

Levh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Levh Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 7

how far in advance can you make these if you are using rkt, will the rkt go bad if left out or since it is covered with fondant it should be ok?

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 7

I made ZhuZHu pets with RKT and didn't have luck with the BC under the fondant. Try freezing it before applying the fondant so that the BC is nice and hard. I would suggest ganache. That works the best and is easy to smooth with a hot spatula.

Also, process your cereal next time so there is not large bumps.

Stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%