I'm Stomped! Can You Figure This Out???

Decorating By 4realLaLa Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 2:51am by madgeowens

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 9

Okay so my cousin asks me to make a cake for her husband 40th birthday in 3 days. I have a sense of adventure so I say yes. I have all the ingredients to make it so... no problem. Well... I made the cake (yellow butter with vanilla almond bc covered in Duff's) and I went to bed last night as usual. Well this morning when I woke up and went downstairs I noticed that cake had a small puddle of water around the base of the cake a LARGE hole where I had a blow out in the fondant. icon_cry.gif

I wipe up the puddle and clean near the edge of the cake only to find that 30 minutes later there is MORE around the cake. icon_mad.gif I'm thinking that maybe the Crisco in the bc is melting or maybe its the fondant. Maybe it is due to the cake being chilled before I covered it with fondant. I don't know I'm just stomped.

My cousin hasn't picked up the cake yet but I really need to know what is happening. This is not my first fondant cake and I have never seen this happen before. Is it me or has anyone ever seen this kind of thing before?

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

TIA

8 replies
jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 9

Gas release, sort oficon_smile.gif you're ok, fix the fondant and wipe up the puddle...it's not unusual for it to happen!

4realLaLa Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you jones5cm I have never seen it before. I'm wondering if it will continue to "leak" after my cousin gets it. I will be soooo embarassed if it does.

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 9

How chilled was your cake? I covered a cake in fondant before, but the cake was frozen. I didn't know that you were not supposed to do that, so I leave the cake out, come home at lunch, there are puddles around it! It was due to the cold cake being left out in the warmer temperature, causing condensation, then it leaks out of the cake. HTH.

4realLaLa Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 9

I'm thinking maybe it was too chilled I usually let it chill while i knead and roll out the fondant. This time the Duff's was uncooperative so I had to re-roll it. Maybe that took to long.

Sweetlybaked how was the taste of the cake after the puddle incident. Was it still good? Did it alter the taste at atll? What kind of feedback did you get?

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 9

I didn't taste the cake myself, it was for an order. My puddles were REALLY bad. I had to sop them up, and redo a plaque that was on it, and literally wipe the cake down! BUT, they still gave me rave reviews on it, and have ordered many times since, so apparently it didn't affect it too much!

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 9

When it happened to me, it was from the oil leaking from my white chocolate BC under the fondant. I asked my co-worker later, who ordered it for his daughter's baby shower, and he said all was well with it and it tasted wonderful...good enough for meicon_smile.gif

4realLaLa Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:27am
post #8 of 9

Thanks guys for your help. My cousin's husband called earlier to say it was wonderful and to thank me for it.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:51am
post #9 of 9

It must have been too cold in the fridge, I put cake in fridge to chill prior to fondant and return it to fridge, and thank God never saw this happen ugh...hope I never do you poor kid...I would freak.....glad it turned out happy!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%