Ganache Best Chocolate Question

Baking By Bluebelles Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 9:13pm by mayo2222

Bluebelles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluebelles Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:08am
post #1 of 7

Many people have written that you must use a good chocolate for Ganache, what brands do you think are the best for Ganache? Ghirardelli, Nestle's or what? What brand do you personally use? Thank you in advance.

6 replies
JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:23am
post #2 of 7

Great question! I'd love to know the answer as well. I usually use the Baker's chocolate, but would love to try other types, but want to know they will work.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:38am
post #3 of 7

I have used Nestle's under my fondant many times and no one has ever complained and I also used it a few times to cover an entire cake on poured ganache. Im sure there are much better quality chocolates out there but no one has ever told me they didn't like my chocolate covered cakes.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:10am
post #4 of 7

I buy the Ghiradellis bags of chocolate at Sam's...I think its MUCH nicer than Nestle, big difference. I won't make ganache with Nestle or Hersheys unless I'm running low on Ghiradellis and have to make up the difference a bit with something I have on hand.

Of course alot of bakers on here will buy the really high quality chocolate, like Callebaut and others....but I'm fine using what I use, and everyone is happy with it....and its easy to come by, just at Sam's (and way cheaper than the small bags at the grocery store), instead of ordering something.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:19am
post #5 of 7

I also use Ghiradelli's 60% cacoa chips from Sam's. But, then I love dark chocolate. If you can find Peter's chocolate or Callebaut - they are pricier but better. Peter's is actually what Nestle's uses to coat their chocolate candy bars. Peter's comes in a variety of types (white, milk, burgundy are a few.)

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 7

man w/ all these posts I see about Ganache I need to look up how to make it!

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 7

I don't think you have to use a higher quality chocolate, its just that some people do. Mine tastes great and I just use generic chocolate.

Ganache Recipe - Chocolate - 1 part chocolate to 1 part heavy cream and White Chocolate is 3 parts white chocolate to 1 part heavy cream. This is by weight! Let it set up overnight or you can throw it in the frig/freezer as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%