Black "squiggles" On Fondant Covered Cake.

Decorating By deeb173 Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 1:31am by deeb173

deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 3

I have a black/white/fushia wedding cake due this weekend. I think it will end up being very pretty but I'm trying to determine the best way to do the squiggles she wants on the cake. She wants alternate tiers to have like loops and squiggles on the cake to look like the chair covers. And they will be black. So would the best way to be with royal icing ...it wouldn't crack on top of the fondant would it? Or would it be best to try and do black fondant and extrude a long cylinder and try to drap in in circle squiggles?

I don't think I want to do it in buttercream because it's 5 tier and i have to transport and assemble part of it on site. I'm going to use SPS but I'm too afraid to transport all five stacked so I figured I would do three and two then assemble those at the venue..

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

2 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 3

Royal icing would be the best thing to use. If you cover your cakes with fondant the day before decorating, the fondant will be nice and firm the next day. No danger of cracking.

If you want to try the clay gun, I'd suggest forming your squiggles off the cake and letting them set up a bit. They'll be easier to place on the cake.

Before stacking the two top tiers, determine if you will be able to lift them together to place them onto the first 3 tiers. Depending on their weight, the height of the cake table, your height and strength, etc., you might be better off stacking the top two tiers one at a time.

deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:31am
post #3 of 3

thanks so much for the advice. I never thought about them being that heavy but as soon as you said it ...it was duh...you are so right!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%