Baking Cake Into A Cylinder Shape?

Decorating By whit6 Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 8:34pm by whit6

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a mummy cake for a Halloween party. Previously I have only made mummy heads, this time I want to do the whole body. I want the legs to look rounded and not flat, and I dont think I trust my carving skill enough to cut it from layered sheetcakes.

Is there a makeshift way to bake the cakes is a cylinder of some sort that I could then cut them in half to make both the legs have rounded tops? I know i've read about people baking in cans for camera lenses etc. but soup cans won't be large enough for this. Any ideas or experinces with this?

8 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 9

don't know if you cann still find metal coffee cans but i used to bake in those.

Otherwise the taller soup cans (like chunky campbells) or the larger metal cans that tomato juice or chicken broth come in.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:45am
post #3 of 9

Pampered Chef has cylinder pans. They are all over the thrift stores right now. They have a round, a heart, and a flower shaped pan.

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:14am
post #4 of 9

I used a Piroleinne (spelling?) can...it's filled with those yummy long cookie sticks. I used it for my Pepsi cake. Greased the inside and bottom, cut a piece of parchment for the bottom and also one to go around the inside and put it against the grease so it would stick while I was filling it. Worked great; except for all those cookies I had to take out of the can and just HAD to eat icon_biggrin.gif

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:20am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

don't know if you cann still find metal coffee cans but i used to bake in those.

Otherwise the taller soup cans (like chunky campbells) or the larger metal cans that tomato juice or chicken broth come in.

Fantastic idea.... is that safe though?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:34am
post #6 of 9

are you talking about putting cake into it after its baked...? and stack and fill it and chill it in the cylinder?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:44am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Toof

Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Fantastic idea.... is that safe though?

Yes, I have done that several times with cake and bread! thumbs_up.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:51am
post #8 of 9

I know you said you didn't trust your carving skills, but what about a large round cookie type cutter - you can get them any size you need and just cut cut cut!

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 9

Very good ideas! I was looking in cans and saw that they have a white coating inside....do I need to find a can that isn;t white inside? The round cutters is a good idea too, just frostt hem all together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%