Need Easy To Use (Yummy) Fondant Recipe.

Baking By Eriset Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 9:43am by brincess_b

Eriset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eriset Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 11

Hi, I'm new to cake decorating and to the forum so please forgive me if this is posted elsewhere.

I have taken the Wilton basic course so far and plan to take more, but won't have time before my wedding. I plan on making the cake myself (3 tiers). I want to use a marshmallow fondant because my fiance prefers that taste to others, but each time I try a new recipe the fondant is only usable right after I make it. If I wait for a day or two to use it I can't keep it from falling apart when I try to lift it to put it on the cake after I've rolled it out.

Does anyone know if I'm using a bad recipe or if there are any fondant tricks to help me out? My wedding is in 2 weeks and if all else fails there's always butter cream.

Here is the recipe I used last. I picked it up from allrecipes.com

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marshmallow-Fondant/Detail.aspx

Thank you in advance for any help.

10 replies
mommakabob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakabob Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 11

Here's the recipe I use all the time
16 oz marshmallows
2 TBS water
2lbs powdered sugar

You can make this in your mixer (if you have one) or by hand. I just made mine in the mixer for the first time and it was great.

Grease the bowl with shortening, pour in half of the powdered sugar and make a well iin the middle. In separate bowl, microwave marshmallows and water in 30 sec. intervals til melted. Dump them into the well in mixer and top with the rest of the powdered sugar. Mix on low til incorporated and then turn it up a bit. Use your dough hook for this. You can add flavors to it as well! HTH

apieceofcake-dolores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apieceofcake-dolores Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 11

I use a MM fondant...
I don't put butter in mine (as this recipe does)
Just one 16 oz package of mini marshmallows, a couple TBS's of water ..melt that down over low heat..then slowly add in a 2 lb bag of powdered sugar. HTH!

dellababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellababe Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 11

I use this recipe: www.whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

And I do it on a double boiler not the microwave!!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 11

How experianced are u with fondant? Part of the expeience is knowing when fondant is 'right' and if it's not, what's missing. Seems like by trying to find the perfect for you, workable recipe this close to the date is going to add to ur stress.
If ur partner prefers the taste, get him to spend the time experimenting! I'd just buy it - then you have a consistant, reliable product and less mess, and more time for decorating.

What look is ur cake? Again it depends on ur experience level, but bc is not easy to get the perfect finish with either.

If you still want to make your own look up mmf and mff in the recipe section here.
xx

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 11

Here is the one i use and how i learned

Eriset Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:11am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by apieceofcake-dolores

I use a MM fondant...
I don't put butter in mine (as this recipe does)
Just one 16 oz package of mini marshmallows, a couple TBS's of water ..melt that down over low heat..then slowly add in a 2 lb bag of powdered sugar. HTH!

I didn't use butter either...I forgot to mention that. I used a little bit of crisco.

Eriset Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:17am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

How experianced are u with fondant? Part of the expeience is knowing when fondant is 'right' and if it's not, what's missing. Seems like by trying to find the perfect for you, workable recipe this close to the date is going to add to ur stress.
If ur partner prefers the taste, get him to spend the time experimenting! I'd just buy it - then you have a consistant, reliable product and less mess, and more time for decorating.

What look is ur cake? Again it depends on ur experience level, but bc is not easy to get the perfect finish with either.

If you still want to make your own look up mmf and mff in the recipe section here.
xx

I'm not too experienced with fondant. The only thing I really wanted to do with it was cover the cake with cornflower blue on the bottom and top tiers and black on the second tier, and then use black to make stripes going up the blue tiers...just basic strips nothing too fancy. I have a pretty unique cake topper that I don't want to distract from. I would like a matte finish if possible.

brincess_b Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 11

Sounds nice!
If you still want to make it, then I suggest looking for a chocolate fondant so u need to add less colouring. U need a lot of colour to turn White fondant black, it will become much softer, trickier to work with (and u can have issues with the colour staining peoples mouths!)
But even most expert fondant makers prefer to buy dark colours like that.
xx

Eriset Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 12:38am
post #10 of 11

Thanks, I'll try the chocolate fondant idea. If that doesn't work out I'll buy some. I've heard bad things about the taste of Wilton's. I think my local store also carries a brand called Duff.

brincess_b Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 9:43am
post #11 of 11

The taste of wiltons has improved recently - the main feature of it is that's it's workability is reliable an consistant.
Duffs is good but it's workability is different as it's a chocolate fondant - there's a few posts with hints and tips on how to use it.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%