Small Train Figures?

Decorating By MammaG Updated 15 Dec 2010 , 7:39pm by SummerSweets

MammaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaG Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 10

I want to make what looks like a toy train set going around a cake. I've thought about fondant or chocolate or something, but I don't really know what to do. I don't want that to be what I spend all of my time on, but I really don't like inedibles on my cake. Is there a mold for fondant or candy that I could use to make a train that will stand rather than lay flat? Or how do I create that? TIA

9 replies
RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 10

train shapes, being fairly straight-forward squares, cylinders, etc...could be cut out of blocks of colored fondant, then allowed to dry. Then add windows and trims after that. Once they're standing in postion on the cake, you could add the wheels.

HTH,
~ Scott

MammaG Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by

train shapes, being fairly straight-forward squares, cylinders, etc...could be cut out of blocks of colored fondant, then allowed to dry. Then add windows and trims after that. Once they're standing in postion on the cake, you could add the wheels.

HTH,
~ Scott

Oh I see. That doesn't sound too difficult at all. But I wait until after it has dried? It won't break or crack too easily? What's the best tool for that--- x-acto knife?

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 10

no, if you add CMC or tylose powder to your fondant before you form your shapes, it will help strengthen the pieces, and also helps them dry faster. Cut out your shapes once CMC or tylose is mixed in. They start do dry very quickly, so be sure to work pretty fast. Then, depending on how thick you make your shapes (i'm seeing less than 1" thick for your project), they should dry well enough overnight so that you can work with them. And they would be fully dry in about 3 days.

And the tool to use would depend on how thick your fondant is. I'd use a vegetable or santuku knife, or even a large kitchen knife to create the basic box shapes.

Good luck to you, and I look forward to seeing pictures!
~ Scott

MammaG Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by

no, if you add CMC or tylose powder to your fondant before you form your shapes, it will help strengthen the pieces, and also helps them dry faster. Cut out your shapes once CMC or tylose is mixed in. They start do dry very quickly, so be sure to work pretty fast. Then, depending on how thick you make your shapes (i'm seeing less than 1" thick for your project), they should dry well enough overnight so that you can work with them. And they would be fully dry in about 3 days.

And the tool to use would depend on how thick your fondant is. I'd use a vegetable or santuku knife, or even a large kitchen knife to create the basic box shapes.

Good luck to you, and I look forward to seeing pictures!
~ Scott

Thank you. You've been very helpful.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaG Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:

Oh thank you! This is great!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 10

You're welcome.
I love pictures, that way I don't have to guess so much if I'm making the right move.

MammaG Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 10

I just thought I'd share my picture with you all. This was my first bow of this kind, and I definitely struggled with it. it served it's purpose, though.

well it's not allowing me to add a picture, so I guess I'll try again later.

SummerSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SummerSweets Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 10

There are cake pans too. I have one that is like a cupcake pan... except it makes train cars. I found it at a kitchen supply store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%