Do You Steam You Fondant Cakes?

Decorating By SweetsbyLadawn Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 5:13pm by theSophistiCakesshoppe

SweetsbyLadawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbyLadawn Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:35am
post #1 of 6

Do you steam you fondant cakes to make them "shiny" not a flat finish? I have a cake coming up and want it to not look dry should i steam it like the cake shows? I will buy a hand held clothing steamer tomrw.

5 replies
blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:52am
post #2 of 6

I have only heard of steaming gum paste flowers.

Mommy2three4714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2three4714 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:53am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by psysienna1

Do you steam you fondant cakes to make them "shiny" not a flat finish? I have a cake coming up and want it to not look dry should i steam it like the cake shows? I will buy a hand held clothing steamer tomrw.

I have also wondered the same thing! Did you ever find out?

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:13am
post #4 of 6

I have been using a steamer on mine for the past couple of months. I do like the way it looks on most of the cakes but love the way it cleans the excess powdered sugar off the fondant. I use to use vodka and a small paint brush to clean up the fondant and it took forever and there were some areas I just could not get to very well. A steamer saves me so much time but don't over steam or hold it in one spot to long, it will make the fondant wet and sticky. You want to just go over the fondant light and quickly. I bought mine at Walmart for about 20.00. HTH

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 6

This post cracked me up. I've seen a million posts on why you shouldn't refrigerate your fondant cakes because it causes condensation on the outside of the cake and all those people thought that was a no-no. I had no idea people were using steamers to get that look on purpose icon_smile.gif By the way, I live in Hawaii and I don't have airconditioning. I refrigerate all my fondant cakes and my cakes always have that "glossy" look and I love it.

theSophistiCakesshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theSophistiCakesshoppe Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by psysienna1

I have tried it with a clean iron and it worked out wonderful. I have also used Pam Spray. I read that some place, maybe on CC....someone had accidentally gotten some Pam on her cake when cooking dinner. She said she was amazed. So I tried it on a 3D Iron Man cake a few months ago, I was shocked how cool it looked!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%