Snow Globes

Decorating By Formynana Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 1:16am by gingerbreadtogo

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 14

I am starting to see cakes on CC with "snowglobes" on them - are they clear plastic and any idea where they can be purchased at? They are just perfect for holiday or anytime cakes I think!

13 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:32am
post #2 of 14

Yes the one I saw on here today said it was a clear plastic bowl. Probably find it at Michael's.

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:04am
post #3 of 14

Thanks ! I will check Michaels... I always seem to have a % off coupon for them!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 7:49am
post #4 of 14

You can do a search for printable Michael's coupons. I never buy a newspaper. I just do a search and print how ever many coupons I want.

kathyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyw Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 14

Hi, did you find the plastic globes? I have looked everywhere and can't find one!!!! Thanks.

homebaker12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebaker12 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 14

saw somewhere on here the other day that they used a plastic "coke" bottle that you find around the holidays, or I also saw a sportastic sports drink the other day at Walmart that was ball shaped. I think you could just cut the top off of that and it would work for a small globe. HTH

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 14

I bought some at Michaels last yr. Then I found a place to buy them online. - thisandthat4crafts.com- they are called "acrylic fillable ornament ball", the come in different sizes. I'm pretty sure they ship to Canada.

good luck

kathyw Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 5:55pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks! I'll check it out.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 14

What about those round glass flower bowls?
Thats what I thought they were!

kathyw Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 14

I thought that maybe glass would be too heavy???? Not sure about that. I also thought about plastic fish bowls. Too big????

cookiemama2 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:07am
post #11 of 14

I have 2 different flower bowls. One has a ruffle edge and bit of a base, The other is just a round bowl. The first 278g the second 200g. I am thinking of trying to make a gum ball machine that was recently posted ( not for a few weeks though ) I was thinking of a cardboard base/cake board for it to sit on when I put it on the cake. First to hold in the gum and second to spread out some of the weight.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:30am
post #12 of 14

You can also use a gelatin sphere, made by coating an inflated balloon with gelatin, drying it then removing the balloon carefully. might not be perfectly undistortedly clear like plastic though.

cookiemama2 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 11:27pm
post #13 of 14

The glass flower bowl worked for me. I had 2 layers of cake, bubble tea straws, fondant covered foam core board then the glass bowl.
I had a little lean to it but that I fixed with a bit of fondant icon_smile.gif
\\
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1856446.html

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:16am
post #14 of 14

It looks great...good work..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%