Luau Cakes

Decorating By MistryUnique Updated 25 Sep 2005 , 1:59am by crimsonhair

MistryUnique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistryUnique Posted 3 Sep 2005 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 24

I just received an order for a luau cake (did I spell that right? LOL) They thought maybe a palm tree. Any ideas? I've been looking in the galleries, and found really cute ocean cakes, but she wants a tree. Thanks!

Misty birthday.gif

23 replies
gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 3 Sep 2005 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 24

Hows This?
LL

MistryUnique Posted 3 Sep 2005 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 24

THAT IS AWESOME. I don't think I am that talented though....what is the tree made of?

Misty birthday.gif

gilpnh Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 12:03am
post #4 of 24

Yes you are!!!!This was the first time I had worked with fondant, and the Wilton stuff at that, before I had learned about MMF.

The stem of the tree is a paper towel tube. I used my thumb as a guide and free hand cut the "bark" for the tree. these were about and ich long each and pointed at the tip, layed them in starting at the bottom and using water brushed on to attach.

I freehand drew a palm leaf, using my hand as a guide for size, once cut I veined them and put them over formers to dry for 3 days. Attached florist wire to underside with royal icing and let dry some more, you could put the wire in early on and form the MMF around it also. then the wire just rested inside the paper towel tube and I could arrange the leaves as I liked. Got the idea out of one of the wilton books, can find which one with the detailed instruc if you want.

The husband threw a 30th BD party suprise for his wife, the whole backyard was hawaiian themed, he gave her tickets to Hawaii at the party and he flew her parents in and they hid in the garage. It was really cute.

MistryUnique Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 2:46am
post #5 of 24

AH MAN.....I'm turning the big 3-0 ON Wednesday. I wonder if MY husband is getting me tickets to Hawaii? ROFL

Only he had better not have my dad hid in the garage. THAT wouldn't be cute. (we dont' get along much)

Thanks for the directions - maybe I'll try it!

Misty birthday.gif

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 2:56am
post #6 of 24

Mistry, I turned 30 in March. I love my family, but they got me a store cake tapedshut.gificon_cry.gificon_razz.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gifthumbsdown.gif . Can you believe that? It was a surprise party. They should've placed a fake order and had me make my own cake!!!!! Happy Birthday.

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 4:13am
post #7 of 24

I turned thirty in July and at least you guys got a cake!! lol
My husband didn't think turning thirty was that big of a deal...I've only been mentioning months before that it was a big deal........what can you do though......... icon_rolleyes.gif

tastycakes Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 4:39am
post #8 of 24

GIbson!!!!!!! I know your wound is fresh, it was just the other day! Men don't understand that 30 is the new 21 and there needs to be a party. Keep pouting, eventually you'll get diamonds or divorced! Cold go either way! My hubby didn't plan mine either, it was all my aunt and sister's doing.
And he bought me a CD changer for the grocery-getter! Woopie, it's full of Sesame and Princess Songs, and the soundtrack to Hairspray (they love that one). For a long time I've been saying that nothing with a plug is a legal gift. (But I want a new airbrush for Christmas.) But you know what? I'll have to buy it, wrap it, and put it under the tree myself.
I'm getting crabby, time for bed soon!

gibson Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 4:47am
post #9 of 24

tastycakes,

That is too funny! NO matter how many times you tell them and I do mean I specifically tell my husband what I want for months in advance and I still don't get it.......I DON"T GET IT!! My gift for my birthday was a t-shirt and an umbrella....yes that's right I said an UMBRELLA!! icon_cry.gif I mean what is up with that????????? I don't understand his logic!! Just wait until his birthday lol!! icon_lol.gif

tastycakes Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 4:54am
post #10 of 24

Really, I need a new umbrella, ya wanna know why? Went to meeting at church, I'm in charge of 2 children in a buffet line, going to potty, keeping them from running so they don't trip old ladies. Hubby is in corner chatting with guy who owns the plumbing supply house my husband buys from - all he's in charge of is the 2 umbrella's we brought. 2 days later it's raining again, WHERE IN HECK ARE THE UMBRELLA's? Oh, I left them at church. dunce.gif Let's see if they are there tomorrow!

tastycakes Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 4:57am
post #11 of 24

MistryUnique, sorry we took over your post. Sometimes it's more about the company than the cake!

gilpnh Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 4:59am
post #12 of 24

DH tries, his mother got me a DUSTMOP for my birthday a few years ago, thats right, you don't wanna go there.

gibson Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 5:05am
post #13 of 24

Boy am I glad I'm not the only one! I mean I'm not happy you all had "bad" birthday experiences but it does make me feel better that I'm not the only one who has!

tastycakes,

If you want I'll send you my umbrella it just brings back memories of that day lololololololol!!!!!!!!!

My husband just asked me what I'm laughing at!!! didn't want to tell him, I think he feels really bad as it is!!!

tastycakes Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 5:15am
post #14 of 24

Ok, since we're on a roll, him feeling guilty about the umbrella reminded me of the first birthday gift he ever bought me. We started daying right after my 19th birthday, so almost a year later he gets me a gift. We already knew we were pretty sure we were going to get married some day, and I had my Wisdom teeth out 2 days before my birthday and I was hopped up (or down) on percoset. Cheeks swollen and yellowing from the surgery, etc. He hands me this present, I unwrap it, it's a jewelry box (like a big wooden one from Wal-mart with the faux stained glass lid). Then he says "Open the drawer!" OOOOOHHHH! Suddenly I wasn't feeling so dopey any more! I open the drawer, Guess what's inside!!!!!!!!??????

It's a flaming pink bathing cap that I could wear swimming at the gym.

gibson Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 5:24am
post #15 of 24

GET OUT!!!

OMGOSH!!! icon_eek.gif

What are they thinking????

He's very lucky you still married him lolololol!!

My husband didn't get me anything for my first birthday together with him.....should have clued in! lol

Just to let you know I have bought him tablesaws, wood planers etc all of these expensive tools for his birthdays! tickets to see George Strait (his idol!)

I guess we've kind of gotten off topic.........

tastycakes Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 5:29am
post #16 of 24

I was mean about it too. Blamed it on the drug later. I could barely form words so I said "wa da fa ih dit?" Then he gets that puppy look and I'm icon_evil.gif . I don't bother too much anymore trying to impress him with gifts because I figure gifts must not be that important to him if he doesn't put much effort into mine! icon_razz.gif

tastycakes Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 5:36am
post #17 of 24

Gilpnh, My mother-in-law gives me aprons. That's right. She's Italian. They are Italian aprons. My favorite one is almost like a smock, it goes over your shoulders and has ruffles, it's red check and it has tomato's on the pockets. I wear it when I want hubby to leave me alone. It's ugly as sin!

gibson Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 5:37am
post #18 of 24

Starting to think the same!! I'm really not that big on birthdays especially mine! Just wanted something a little special for the big 3 0! OH well it's gone and past time to move on........I do like buying him gifts especially ones he doesn't think I know about, but I listen through out the year when we are shopping together and keep mental notes for his birthday or Christmas....but now we have a son so that will change lol! My son will be the spoiled one lol! He already is the spoiled one!
It just amazes me how different men and women are!

It's getting late time for bed! My little monkey wakes me up way too early!

It was great talking to you tastycakes!! You sound wonderful! icon_razz.gif

tastycakes Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 5:39am
post #19 of 24

Goodnight!

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 7:58am
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastycakes

Gilpnh, My mother-in-law gives me aprons. That's right. She's Italian. They are Italian aprons. My favorite one is almost like a smock, it goes over your shoulders and has ruffles, it's red check and it has tomato's on the pockets. I wear it when I want hubby to leave me alone. It's ugly as sin!

Hahahaa...Maybe that was the point of her giving her son's wife those aprons!

I never bother hinting around for gifts anymore, to get what I want I simply grab the gift giver by the lapels and take him to the exact JEWLERY COUNTER where the item I want is on display...lol

Works like a charm EVERY TIME!...rotflmfao

MistryUnique Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 6:59pm
post #21 of 24

Alright - I went with a "hula girl" for the cake. I hope she likes it!

Misty birthday.gif
LL
LL
LL

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 7:10pm
post #22 of 24

I think she will love it! It looks great! thumbs_up.gif
traci

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 7:32pm
post #23 of 24

She'd be crazy not to. It looks great! thumbs_up.gif

Ali

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 25 Sep 2005 , 1:59am
post #24 of 24

Oh fantastic cake MistryUnique . You did a great job on it..It is beautiful and I am sure she will love it..
Tastycakes.. I am laughing so hard at the red apron with tomatoes on it.. Too funny.. and the bathing cap.. ROFL. you are too much..
But the dustmop takes the cake..
Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%