This Sounds Soooo Familiar...

Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 10:37pm by costumeczar

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 8

I am sure I read this email from someone who brought it up on here before, but I can't remember how they handled it. I specifically remember the "HAPPY MARRIED LIFE" part. Now that I I have gotten the exact same email as well, I know for sure it was a hoax. I guess I just needed confirmation from you guys. I am copying and pasting the exact email I got from the person except that I blocked the first name:

"Hello Sorry I would have call instead, to place this order, but am a hearing impaired person, and its more easier for me to communicate via email and sign, help me express myself more...Please, I will like you to bake me chocolate and Vanilla cake of 5 tier that can serve approximately 300 guest or more , and I want the cake to be decorated with pink roses and the cake should be covered in fondant or in butter cream, and there will be an inscription writing on the side of one of the tier as HAPPY MARRIED LIFE and i want you to pack them in different boxes to be ready for pick up at the said time and date.. 26th of Oct 2010, 3 O'clock PM. Reply me back and let me know if you can fill in the date for me....??? then i can forward all the details and the picture sample of what i will like you to bake for me.
Thanks and God bless.
**** Labella."

What do you guys think I should do? Wedding wire is where she found me. Thanks for you input.

7 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 8

Ignore it-scam.

I have seen that pop up a couple of times.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 8

You already know it's a hoax. Just delete it.

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 8

I received that letter almost word-for-word a couple of years ago. They just never give up! When I get scam letters now, I reply to them that I am forwarding their request to a great baker I know--the attorney general for my state. That puts an end to it, and I get a little bit of a chuckle out of it icon_lol.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks guys... I wasn't sure if I was supposed to just delete it or answer it like Bethkay. I think I will do something similar to what Bethkay did.

Thanks again!

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 8

I've gotten this email a number of times via Wedding Wire. Just hit the ol' delete button and absolutely don't respond...don't think about it...and don't doubt what your gut is already telling you. Not worth any more of your time.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 8

What do they get out of it, free cake? I don't understand this spam at all.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 8

They send you payment via a fake credit card or a bad check, but send more than they owe you and ask you to use the overage to pay the shipping company that picks the merchandise up. By the time the bank calls to tell you that the check is bad and they're taking the money out of your account, you've paid them and they now have your money.

There are variations on this scam all over the place, I've recently started receiving requests for 500 cupcakes to be picked up. It's the same thing. I've also seen this with requests for limos and catering, cake decorating classes and rentals.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%