Harden Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By zaco Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 10:10pm by zaco

zaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zaco Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 5

I just used modeling chocolate for the first time and I'm wondering what I can do to get it to harden. Do I just have to wait a day, or can I put it in the freezer? I'm very excited to get this cake painted!

4 replies
luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 5

Modeling chocolate, or at least the recipe I use, goes in the fridge overnight before it can be used. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, let it rest in the fridge overnight, then it's usually too hard to use unless you zap it about 2 seconds (really!) in the microwave and knead it for awhile in pieces about the size of a baseball. HTH

zaco Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks! But I'm actually already done with the chocolate, it's just ready to be painted.
Will an airbrush work on the white chocolate? I feel like it could get smudgy. Ahh I am stressing about how I'm going to color this since the medium is so foreign (but it may be my new fav!)

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 5

Did you just use it right away? Was it hard to handle? I don't know about the airbrush on white choc since I usually use dark chocolate -- pearl dust works fine on that after it's firm.

zaco Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 5

haha no I let it sit before I used it. I'm just wondering if it is ready to be colored now, or does it harden? I don't know what to expect for the final consistency. It's semi hard now but I hope it hardens up a little more. Having some trouble with this one anyway...didn't think it 100% through!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%