Need Help Tonight! Cake Falling. . .

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 7:19pm by Kitagrl

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:28am
post #1 of 12

*sigh*

Making a 3D standing figure for my son's sixth birthday party. Made the wooden structure, then had to cut the cake rounds in half to fit around the middle dowel. Buttercreamed. Added fondant accents. After resting for about an hour, I went into the kitchen to find the front half of the cake falling forward and cracking the buttercream. I stuck two dowels into the side that was falling forward, starting higher on the layer and pushing downward and repaired the frosting. After a little bit longer, I saw the frosting cracking again.

I'm not sure what else to do to keep this cake from falling over. Trying to see if it will fit in the fridge overnight. I am terrified that I'm going to wake up tomorrow to see my son's cake on the floor.

Any advice? Please help.

11 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:41am
post #2 of 12

Could you snap a pic real quick and post so we can see what its supposed to look like and what its doing?

fruitsnack Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:56am
post #3 of 12

Here it is. It's the body / lower mouth that is pulling away from the middle only on the left side, though. You can't see it in the picture, but it's pulling away at the back of the mouth area on the left side. I have two dowels stuck in the left side of the lower part (behind two of the fondant shapes) to try to hold it together.

Kitagrl Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:59am
post #4 of 12

Sometimes too many dowels can further break apart cake inside...any way to stick it in the fridge? I always refrigerate all my cakes and it really helps firm them up and stabilize them.

If you can, I'd make sure everything is patched up real nice and then chill that cake real good overnight, and take it out an hour before the party. It should help alot.

Cool cake! He will love it!

fruitsnack Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:03am
post #5 of 12

My husband found room in the fridge for the little guy, so he's chilling until morning. All of my fingers and toes are crossed that he is still standing in the morning.

Will being in the fridge mess up the fondant spikes and hands?

Kitagrl Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:05am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitsnack

My husband found room in the fridge for the little guy, so he's chilling until morning. All of my fingers and toes are crossed that he is still standing in the morning.

Will being in the fridge mess up the fondant spikes and hands?

Nope not at all...it will make everything nice and firm and hard.

Refrigeration has taken alot of the stress out of my cake transports!!!!

Good luck!!!!

fruitsnack Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:24am
post #7 of 12

Thank you so much for your help! Luckily the cake only has to travel from fridge to dining room table, so as long as he survives the night, we should be okay. Thanks again!!!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 12

The cake is super cute! I hope it survived the night. icon_smile.gif

I'm pretty darn sure the problem was cutting the cakes in half. Once you did that, it was as if the center dowel wasn't even there. You were just stacking up two towers of cake halves.

fruitsnack Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 12

I wondered about that. Didn't know how else to go about it, though. I did put some of the filling between the two cake halves to try to hold it together, but should have done something else obviously.

After a night in the fridge, he looks about the same, so I think he will survive.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 3:09pm
post #10 of 12

Yay, I'm glad he made it! I too refridgerate all of them now, haven't had a scary transport in years!! I'm sure your son will love it and so will all his friends!

fruitsnack Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 12

Just an update to this . . .

He survived! I took it out of the fridge about 45 minutes before everyone arrived, and it hadn't moved an inch all night. Added the "crystals" (rock candy) that he was to be eating and holding and . . . voila! He was a success. My son got a kick out of when we started to cut him - he kept saying (in a monstery voice) "Ahhh . . . you're eating my braiiinnnss!"

Here he is after the crystals were added. The inspiration for the cake are on the corners of the board.

Kitagrl Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 12

Great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%