post #1 of 24

is called to order.

Who's Up?
Whatcha workin' on?

23 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 2:36am
post #2 of 24

No weddings this weekend. I had planned to be out of town, and that trip fell through. Can you believe I'm sitting here blank on orders on 10.10.10?

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 2:49am
post #3 of 24

I'd say enjoy the break, Leah! I just had a hockey birthday cake tonight, done in no time.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:03am
post #4 of 24

good evening. i hope you are enjoying your break this weekend leah. and hopefully not too dissapointed your trip was cancelled.
im starting work on a cake for my mothers husband.
three stooges themed.
i tried making them out of RI. that didnt go to well. they looked like monsters. although 3 stooges monsters.
so now im on to plan b or is this plan c???
thinking of doing a movie marque with the stooges on it (a decal of printer) unfortunately not an edible image.
and put starring his name and next show would be his dob.
i dont know. really im trying to come up with something.
its for sunday. but tomorrow ill be out of town. so trying to get it torted and crumb coated tonight.
i have 2 9x13 and 2 12" rounds. white cakes with chocolate gnache filling.
his choice.
i let the people in my family pick their flavors but i get to the pick the theme.
any ideas or suggestions are more then welcomed!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:05am
post #5 of 24

Hi there! Ihave only birthday cupcakes tomorrow but they are important ones that I'm so very honored to get to do. They are for a cancer patient who is stage 4 and at the end of her possible treatment...so this is most likely the last birthday. So I'm gonna do them up big and try to make it the best birthday yet! I'll share photos later this week.

October is a slow month for me and that I always appreciate. It gives me a little bit of a break between the craziness of summer wedding season and winter party season. Other than the cupcakes I only have a wedding cake and a halloween cake that's for an event we work as event planners every year. Other than that my work doesn't pick up till mid November when I begin my winter work and am booked till New Years Day. So, yes, I'm grateful for the small break now.

Cat

aundrea Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:07am
post #6 of 24

i would love to have the cake stand up- but i cant see how it would hold up with the car ride to the resturant in BC. he absolutely hates fondant. so unfortunately ill have to make it laying down.
i have LED lights to put around the movie marque. to make it light up.
im really not digging this design.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:14am
post #7 of 24

Hmm, perhaps a fondant cut out of his favorite stooge instead? From the shoulders up in this style:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1630020

Hmm, you could do a Groucho theme with a mustache, glasses, and cigar. That's about all I got tonight. icon_smile.gif

Sorry about your trip, Leah. You can go to Athens and tailgate with us. The more, the merrier!

I finished an OU bobcat cake and chocolate paw print suckers for tomorrow then baked butterfly cookies that are in the freezer until I can decorate them on Monday. At the moment, I'm designing a cake and trying to figure out the logistics of feeding 230 band kids next weekend. I don't think our tailgate hosts know what we're in for with this one.

susieqhomemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieqhomemaker Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:24am
post #8 of 24

I've been lurking for a while now, but I'm gonna jump in tonight.

I had 2 cakes today, my first purse cake with a my first gumpaste shoe, and a small cake with overlapping circles and a dahlia.

Tomorrow, I have a replica of the top tier of a couple's wedding cake from 35 years ago and a sheet cake with a rooster.

Sunday I have a nautical themed baby shower cake. I'm really looking forward to this one. I hope it turns out as cute as I'm imagining it!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:28am
post #9 of 24

I delivered a cake today...I was disappointed with it, to say the least. I don't even know if I want to go through those pics for editing...I don't have a program advanced enough to make it look acceptable icon_sad.gif. I had to deliver it to what had to be the swankiest hotel I've ever seen! From the moment I pulled up to the time I left, I felt like TRASH...the employees were suited up in black and looked like the president's entourage complete with ear wires and the entryway was lined with vehicles that looked like they were straight from an auto exhibition of James Bond with tags from another country! Seriously, when I got directions to the place Holiday Inn came up...I should've taken the extra step to search the hotel as well as directions to it. This was no Holiday Inn! The structure did not give evidence of what was inside! It was a hour and a half away and I was clueless of its' existence. There was no obvious service/vendor entrance either. Had me wishing I'd shaved my mustache!

I'm about to begin work on a onesie cake and a single tier polka dotted cake for tomorrow

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:40am
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I delivered a cake today...I was disappointed with it, to say the least. I don't even know if I want to go through those pics for editing...I don't have a program advanced enough to make it look acceptable icon_sad.gif. I had to deliver it to what had to be the swankiest hotel I've ever seen! From the moment I pulled up to the time I left, I felt like TRASH...the employees were suited up in black and looked like the president's entourage complete with ear wires and the entryway was lined with vehicles that looked like they were straight from an auto exhibition of James Bond with tags from another country! Seriously, when I got directions to the place Holiday Inn came up...I should've taken the extra step to search the hotel as well as directions to it. This was no Holiday Inn! The structure did not give evidence of what was inside! It was a hour and a half away and I was clueless of its' existence. There was no obvious service/vendor entrance either. Had me wishing I'd shaved my mustache!

I'm about to begin work on a onesie cake and a single tier polka dotted cake for tomorrow

OMG all of your cakes are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey I wish I could make my cakes look 100% perfect, what kinda software is that?? lol...sounds like you had a bad day...I bet it was great...snobs like cake too icon_smile.gif ...they all put there drawers on one leg at a time too..........don't sweat the small stuff....have a better day tomorrow icon_smile.gif

m420chelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m420chelle Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:46am
post #11 of 24

I am working on my first topsy turvy cake...it's going fairly well. It's a poker themed cake for a friend's birthday...I am waiting for the fondant to stop sweating and then I am planning to stack/decorate. I'm a little nervous about the stacking- I followed the tutorial on here so far and it's going fine. I have a spot on the top tier that I need to cover up with something- the fondant tore so I am thinking a "Happy Birthday" plaque because of course, the tear is in the front icon_mad.gif Hope everyone is doing well and enjoy the weekend off Leah!

aundrea Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:51am
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Hmm, perhaps a fondant cut out of his favorite stooge instead? From the shoulders up in this style:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1630020

Hmm, you could do a Groucho theme with a mustache, glasses, and cigar. That's about all I got tonight. icon_smile.gif

Sorry about your trip, Leah. You can go to Athens and tailgate with us. The more, the merrier!

I finished an OU bobcat cake and chocolate paw print suckers for tomorrow then baked butterfly cookies that are in the freezer until I can decorate them on Monday. At the moment, I'm designing a cake and trying to figure out the logistics of feeding 230 band kids next weekend. I don't think our tailgate hosts know what we're in for with this one.

omg that cake is stunning!! i WISH i could something even close to that.
cricut or not!!!! thanks for sharing. how awesome would a cake like that be with the three stooges on it. i not talented enough to pull something like that off. darn..... icon_mad.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:51am
post #13 of 24

Ugh. Why are the tears always somewhere obvious?

all4cake Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:53am
post #14 of 24

Thanks Madge!

It was a snake cake and for the life of me, I could not figure out an elementary technique...how to make it look spiraled. I looked at all the tutorials on spiraling (I've done spiral cakes before for roads/tracks...it just didn't seem to be the same for a snake...kwim?) and images of snakes and snake figurines...it just wasn't clickin'... the ball had issues and I've done those too without problem. Not a bad day...just one I will soon forget (there is an upside to having a sporadic memory icon_smile.gif )

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:53am
post #15 of 24

hi everyone, have 2 blueberry cakes in oven, three already done, sitting on the bar, cooling. Working on the face grill for my uncles birthday cake for sunday. My first helmet cake and thank god, bakin4u, was kind enough to send me detailed instructions on how to make it. Bless her. icon_biggrin.gif she is my hero!!

I cant keep me or my MIL, who is my quicker-picker-upper when doing cakes, out of the blueberries!! icon_razz.gif we are stained purple.. and we LIKE it !! icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:56am
post #16 of 24

blueberry cake...mmmmmmmm! Are they all for the helmet?

madgeowens Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:06am
post #17 of 24

all4cake.......your right about the memory...geeze who were these people? sounds really weird...

your cakes a marvelous....if I live to be 102 they will never get that good

madgeowens Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:07am
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

hi everyone, have 2 blueberry cakes in oven, three already done, sitting on the bar, cooling. Working on the face grill for my uncles birthday cake for sunday. My first helmet cake and thank god, bakin4u, was kind enough to send me detailed instructions on how to make it. Bless her. icon_biggrin.gif she is my hero!!

I cant keep me or my MIL, who is my quicker-picker-upper when doing cakes, out of the blueberries!! icon_razz.gif we are stained purple.. and we LIKE it !! icon_biggrin.gif

can we see the pic of you and mil blue teeth haha...have fun

all4cake Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:13am
post #19 of 24

Nothing weird...groom's cake...he loves to golf and the snake represented his nickname growing up. Thanks for the compliment...I think they're average, at best...(and no, I'm not seeking bolstering...just keeping it real)

I don't know the people...I've never met anyone. It was all handled over the phone and through emails w/the MOG's assistant/secretary

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:20am
post #20 of 24

yes all cakes for helmet (2) 9", (2) 8", and one 6". I have to carve them.

see my big blue smile !! icon_razz.gif

all4cake Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:24am
post #21 of 24

That's gonna be one big ol' tasty helmet!

Leah, where were gonna be goin'?

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:42am
post #22 of 24

Another late check-in for me (can't really get here until the kidlets are in bed & I'm on the left coast).

I'm sort of between cakes tonight. I delivered the blue/brown bridal shower cake on Wed and I don't have anything "due" until a small cake for my MiL's birthday brunch on Sunday.

That cake is filled/crumbcoated and waiting for frosting. I'm experimenting w/white choco ganache that I tinted w/candy melts. Not sure how well that is working out--the constistency looks weird. At least it is for family so no biggie if it is not perfect.

Took a class this week on cake stencilling--that was fun but now I don't know what to do with a cake decorated w/a CHRISTMAS TREE?!?!

Nite-nite y'all.

Kristy

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:57am
post #23 of 24

Working on baby shower cupcakes; pretty easy order - 3 doz. yellow, 3 doz. chocolate with white buttercream (using my Extra Special Buttercream Frosting) with sprinkles.

Wish I could figure out why this dark chocolate cake sinks in the middle - even for cupcakes. However, I keep getting repeat orders despite the sinking.

I also wish I knew what size bakeries use for cupcakes (and muffins) and what size cupcake liners. They seem somehow between regular and giant...

Have a good weekend everyone!

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:46am
post #24 of 24

I'm up late too. I'm a little pumped because I'm putting finishing touches on a tabla cake. It's an East Indian drum and my brother plays them and a whole bunch of other instruments. I've been meaning to make this cake for him since his birthday last year!

Along with that, I'm making a stack of books and a figure mold of a baby.

I'm loving my palette knife tonight....what did I without it all these years??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%