Marshmallow Fondant Disaster!!!! Please Help!!!

Decorating By shana102083 Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 2:12am by SugarKissesCakery

shana102083 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shana102083 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:09am
post #1 of 16

Ok so today was my 2nd try at the marshmallow fondant, the first was months ago before I had ever worked with fondant so it didn't turn out well. But since I have covered many cakes with the Wilton fondant (which is quite costly) I thought I had enough knowledge and experience to pull it off this time.

This is the recipe I used, 16oz of mini mellows, 4tbsp water, and 2lb of powdered sugar.

When I was finished (at 11 this morning) I felt that it had turned out well. But 8 hours later I checked on it and it was 1- too soft and 2- it wasn't pliable and just broke off in pieces. I added some water as one website suggested but now it seems sticky and when I picked it up it tore and I can't even imagine it being able to cover a cake!

I see all these beautifully decorated cakes with mmf and I just don't know if/how to get the same result!!!

someone please help me. I'm at my wits end with this stuff!!!!

15 replies
dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:16am
post #2 of 16

Is that the entire recipe? did you add corn syrup and the extracts?

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:17am
post #3 of 16

Corn syrup can help with pliability. I think you only need 1 T. per batch.

dnrlee Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:19am
post #4 of 16

here's the recipe that I use and it's very easy to work with.

Rhondas Ultimate MMF
Ingredients
15 oz. mini marshmallows
2 T water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
2 tsp light corn syrup (helps w/ pliability)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 lbs (approx 7 C) confectioners sugar, sifted
1/2 C Crisco or vegetable shortening

shana102083 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:29am
post #5 of 16

Yes that was the recipe I found on youtube. She never mentioned cornsyrup. it was just those 3 ingredients!

Thanks for the recipe I will definitely try that tomorrow. is the 1/2c crisco for the actual recipe or is that for greasing your tools? do you add all wet ingredients when melting the mm? when do you add the corn syrup?

How soon after you make this can you use it to cover a cake?

I made 2 batches of the fondant I mentioned earlier...is there any way to rescue it or should it just be scrapped?

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!!!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:36am
post #6 of 16

omg I have been using this recipe forever and just noticed it says 2 teaspoons of corn syrup...I use 2 tablespoons lol,,,,hmmmm ok well it works ...I think it is sometimes a bit loose though, that explains it....I just add extra ps...duh...I need to wear my glasses more sheesh

dnrlee Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:36am
post #7 of 16

sorry! Here's the rest of iticon_smile.gif

Grease microwave proof bowl w/ Crisco. Also grease wooden or heat proof spoon. Pour marshmallows and water into bowl. Microwave for approximately 2 minutes stopping and stirring at 40 second intervals. Mixture should be soupy.
Take out of microwave and immediately add corn syrup, lemon juice, salt and extracts. Stir well. Sift confectioners sugar into mixture, one cup at a time. After approximately 5 cups, grease your hands well with Crisco and knead the mixture in the bowl. Add the sixth cup and continue to knead. Now grease your work surface well and turn mixture out of bowl onto counter. Sift remaining sugar, regrease hands, and knead well. If mixture seems soft, add one additional cup of powdered sugar.
Shape into a mound and put a coating of crisco on outside. Double wrap in cling wrap and insert into ziplock bag. Press air out of bag and seal. Allow to rest overnight, but, can be used after sitting for a few hours.
**Quick note, if you can order the Princess Cake and Cookie emulsion it will be well worth it. It gives this fondant a delicious flavor and I have been able to convince brides who hated fondant to order fondant wedding cakes after sampling my fondant. Hope you like it!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:56am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shana102083

Yes that was the recipe I found on youtube. She never mentioned cornsyrup. it was just those 3 ingredients!

Thanks for the recipe I will definitely try that tomorrow. is the 1/2c crisco for the actual recipe or is that for greasing your tools? do you add all wet ingredients when melting the mm? when do you add the corn syrup?

How soon after you make this can you use it to cover a cake?

I made 2 batches of the fondant I mentioned earlier...is there any way to rescue it or should it just be scrapped?

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!!!!

If you warm that in the microwave(dont burn yourdelf) and then add the corn syrup...you may be able to save it...worth a try..let me know how it works....always try one batch at a time until you are sure it is good....I did that already...hate when I do that grrr

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:09am
post #9 of 16

I use that recipe and don't have issues with it. I usually rub a little shortening over it, wrap it in plastic, then put it in a bag for storage. I think the key is using a little shortening...you might want to try that. HTH and good luck!

shana102083 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:20am
post #10 of 16

So the 1/2 C shortening in the recipe is just to grease tools, work surface, and hands...it not actually going into the fondant?

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:34am
post #11 of 16

dnrlee - if you add the princess emulsion do you eliminate the lemon juice and/or lemon extract?

dnrlee Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:40am
post #12 of 16

I don't use the lemon extract but I do use the lemon juice. I use 1 tsp of the princess emulsion in its place. I've used the buttery vanilla before too. Both are yummy!

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:47am
post #13 of 16

In the recipe you used, the shortening is used for your hands and tools, and I coat the fondant for storage. When I make it, I try to leave it a little thinner than I would want it for my cake. After it cools, you can use it and add a little more PS when you knead it, if necessary.

It sounds to me like you may have used too much PS in your batch.

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:53am
post #14 of 16

I use the easy peasy mmf recipe here in cc recipes , its never failed me icon_smile.gif

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:55am
post #15 of 16

Good tips on this, thank you for sharing! thumbs_up.gif

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 2:12am
post #16 of 16

One thing about the MMF recipe with corn syrup in it . . . I have found that it will not harden if you are trying to make bow loops or figures. It doesn't matter how much powdered tylose you add. It will never, ever, ever, ever firm up enough. Ever. Can you tell I tried everything. That recipe is fabulous for covering cakes but I use the good old Wilton stuff most of the time for fondant embellishments on my cakes. MMF is soooo much harder to work with. It is sticky and takes longer to firm up (even if you leave out the corn syrup.) Has anyone else found this?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%