Special Request For Wedding Cake Flavors...do You Accept?

Business By mookamoo Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 1:44am by khoudek

mookamoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookamoo Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 19

Does your cake business accept special request for cake flavors? I have a menu of flavors, but I have a bride who wants a hummingbird cake. I do not have experience with this. Do you do this?

18 replies
JadedJenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JadedJenn Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 19

I'm confused. Is hummingbird a flavor?

mookamoo Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 19

yes, I had to look it up too.
Here it is...
consists of two layers of cake full of chopped pecans, crushed pineapple, and mashed bananas that are filled and frosted with a delicious cream cheese icing.

Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/HummingbirdCake.html#ixzz11i3btXE2

SwtCanuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtCanuck Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 19

I am open to trying new flavours of cake for my brides. I tell them to go with one usual flavour then go crazy with another. I made Rootbeer cake a couple of weeks ago. It turned out great!

JadedJenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JadedJenn Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks for the link! That sounds pretty yummy.

I don't have a business but if you decide to do the special flavor I would say to charge extra for it.

mookamoo Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 19

yes its got some ingredients.
Thank you.!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 19

I always try to accomodate special requests - unless it's a dietetic change. I don't do gluten-free, nut-free, etc..

I already charge a little extra for German chocolate, Italian creme, key lime curd and spirit -infused flavors, so I'd definitely charge extra for hummingbird.

I would also strongly encourage the bride to limit that filling to one tier - or - just one layer of filling in a torted cake with other fillings (or just bc). That way, if someone doesn't like it, they can eat the cake and other fillings that surround it.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 19

It looks easy enough, I would agree to offer it, at a premium price of course. Hummingbird cakes are popular in the south so you may want to consider adding it to your regular menu as a premium item (unless it turns out to be a PITA to make).

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:27am
post #9 of 19

yes, i always offer to make another flavor of cake if they want one that's not on my menu. But i do tell them that it may be at an additional cost depending on the flavor. Then once they bring me the flavor i can figure up if there is an additional cost.

And yes, hummingbird uses a lot more ingredients than my basic recipes so i do charge more for that (along with some alcohol flavored cakes)

lindsey077 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsey077 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:59pm
post #10 of 19

Yes, as long as it's something I think will taste nice. I like to expand on the cakes I offer and it gives me incentive to perfect new recipes. Hummingbird cake is lovely anyway, good luck with what you decide icon_smile.gif

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:05pm
post #11 of 19

Yes, provided there is plenty of time before the event to test recipes. I would charge extra, unless it was a flavor I had been wanting to try and just waiting for the excuse!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:01pm
post #12 of 19

ok, i'm glad someone explained this because I was envisioning "take one hummingbird and throw it in a blender......." recipe! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:24pm
post #13 of 19

Hummingbird Cake is FABULOUS! I requested it every year for my birthday until I moved out of my mother's house. It's definitely worth adding it to your menu. It's really moist, so I wouldn't want to use it as my base layers. But sooooo worth trying it out! Make a trial run for your family and then decide if it's worth the hassle. (It would be for me!) icon_biggrin.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:27pm
post #14 of 19

Hummingbird cake is popular here in the South. It's a very moist, flavorful cake. I've never heard it used in wedding cake though. That would be delish!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:30pm
post #15 of 19

I love, love, love hummingbird! I once put those dried-in-the-oven think pineapple rings on top and it was out of this world!

I hope the bride is willing to pay for the extra hassle and ingredients.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:36am
post #16 of 19

The Cake Mix Doctor also has a version of the Hummingbird cake in her book. very tasty!

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 6:12am
post #17 of 19

I've made hummingbird cake for several years now. It's a family favorite. To me, it's sort of like a banana bread or pumpkin bread. Feels like it could be a breakfast item. Very tasty and super moist.

I've only put ground walnuts in mine though. Pecans would be great too. I'll try that next time. The cake I make is a bundt & has a drizzle using extra pineapple juice & p.sugar. It is a heavy cake.

I'd prepare for any assembled cake transportation issues before hand. It will be a doozy, seriously if you have all layers with this heavy cake.

icon_smile.gif

SillyJacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SillyJacs Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 5:35pm
post #18 of 19

I just saw a post where Leah_s listed this as one of her cake options. Maybe you can pm her to ask for any tips on using this as a wedding cake and the time it takes to bake.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:44am
post #19 of 19

Hummingbird cake was probably the most popular specialty cake flavor I offered when we lived in TN. It is easy to make, stand up well to fondant, and tastes heavenly. It is awesome with white chocolate mousse filling!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%