3 Square Tiers, Stacked Alternately?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 12:59am by madgeowens

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,

I have been asked to make a cake with 3 square tiers, and they are to be stacked in slightly alternating directions. (i hope that makes sense)

What size increment tiers do you use when doing this? And can you point me to some photos for inspiration? I am not really sure how to search for this specifically.

thanky

7 replies
jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 8

There was just another forum topic about this questions this morning. (I think) they said if the bottom is a 12 inch then the next one has to be an 8 inc and the one on top of that would have to be a 4 inch other wise the edges would over hang.....I think that is what the post said. I wish I could remember the name of it!!! Good luck!

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 8

The first wedding cake I was asked to do was this same scenario.
I actually cut square pieces of paper to check placement and verify what sizes I exactly needed.

Jo3D33 is correct if you want them set on the exact square opposites (like square-diamond-square, however, it reads to me like you want to just offset them.
If this is the case, please consider the following, when you only have three tiers, offsetting them slightly can end up looking like you just screwed up the placement if its not done perfectly. Where a taller tier cake can pull it off easily, hence, the spiral look if I understand you correctly. This is difficult to acheive with a shorter cake. (This is what my clients were after, I talked them into straight square on square on square as square-diamond-square placement would have resulted in way to much cake for them).

If you are set on the look you are going for, it is best to do the paper patterns to see exactly what you need.
Good Luck!

CiNoRi Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels710

The first wedding cake I was asked to do was this same scenario.
I actually cut square pieces of paper to check placement and verify what sizes I exactly needed.

Jo3D33 is correct if you want them set on the exact square opposites (like square-diamond-square, however, it reads to me like you want to just offset them.
If this is the case, please consider the following, when you only have three tiers, offsetting them slightly can end up looking like you just screwed up the placement if its not done perfectly. Where a taller tier cake can pull it off easily, hence, the spiral look if I understand you correctly. This is difficult to acheive with a shorter cake. (This is what my clients were after, I talked them into straight square on square on square as square-diamond-square placement would have resulted in way to much cake for them).

If you are set on the look you are going for, it is best to do the paper patterns to see exactly what you need.
Good Luck!

Good call I didnt think of that.... hmmm
I had originally planned to do either 4, 8, 12 or a 6, 9, 12 (or some combo there of.....each tier being about 4" tall ....

the photo they gave was of a 2 tier (easy enough) offset stacked....but they were adamant on getting 3 tiers... Yeah, so it throws me off

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 8

I do the "twisted look" with as little as a 2" difference. You can see it here:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1826842

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:09am
post #6 of 8

Wow that cake is amazing KoryAK!

As PP state, if you want the tiers offset you need to look at the size of the tiers diagonally so that you don't get the overhang look :S

I prefer the twisted look personally.

The best way to find out what look you want to go for is to turn your pans upside down and put it in the different positions with the different sizes and see which works best

CiNoRi Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:38am
post #7 of 8

KoryAK, yes that cake is awesome! Nice job!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:59am
post #8 of 8

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1194402

whatever you use...I like to see 2 inch at least difference from tier to tier myself

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%