String Of Pearls...how To Make?

Decorating By mskavon Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 6:30pm by weirkd

mskavon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskavon Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 7

What's the process for making a string of pearls out of gumpaste? do you use wire or a certain kind of string?
any tutorials available?

thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

6 replies
amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 7

I am new, so this may not be what others recommend...

But I made a string of pearls by first rolling out the fondant, using a small circle cookie cutter I cut what seemed like a million circles. Then rolled them into balls. ( obviously so each ball is the same size) I let them just harden and then I actually strung them with a needle and thread so they would stay together.

The only thing is I know this isn't food safe, and it was for a cake that I was serving so when it was time to cut I just removed the string of pearls.

I also brushed them with lustre dust which really added to the "pearly" affect. I think you could use the same process without stringing them to make it food safe, though the amount of time it takes to apply each one may not be worth it.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 7

This thread has a lot of good ideas for this:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-666593.html

mskavon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskavon Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 7

thank you icon_smile.gif

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 7

many good ideas and techniques. If the string you're making is for the bottom of the cake you may want to try silicon molds like:

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=9015&step=4

Using the link just to show you, many cake suppliers carry them and you may be able to find it in your local store. Working with these is so easy, you place fondant, squeeze and voila have exact size everytime, the only downsize is if that they leave a line to which the pearls are holding and if you're planing to display like an actual string of pearls you many not want it.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 7

This is a good tutorial

http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

If you are looking to put them on wires, you'll need to do that when they are dry enough to not change the shape but wet enough so that the wire will go through still.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 7

What I do if Im using them to actually dangle off a cake or something I follow the directions for the mold which is rolling a sausage size of gumpaste or 50/50 works well of fondant/gumpaste. I open up the mold and place it inside and squeeze the two sections together. I cut off the excess. Then I leave them on the counter for about an hour. I take a needle threaded with fishing line and make a whole threw the center of each pearl. You may need to cut off more of the excess fondant on the edge to get it perfect and sometimes I even do this before I leave them sit for an hour. If their at all destored I roll them into a ball again or stick the individual pearl in the mold again. But once their set for an hour they are better to work with. Then you tie a knot on one end or use a drop of hot glue on the fishing line so that they dont come off. Once you get the amount on there that you want, you hang them off of something to let them dry completely before you use them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%