Updated Question To Yesterday's Serving Size Question

Decorating By MammaG Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 4:40pm by CWR41

MammaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaG Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 9

I have a Wilton book that shows different serving sizes than what I found on Wilton's site. How do I know which is correct? They are extremely different. The site says that a 16" round feeds 100 where the book has me doing 16, 12 and 8" rounds to equal 102 servings. I really am about to pull my hair out of my head trying to determine the correct amount. Advice, suggestions??

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 9

What year is the yearbook?

Are you comparing the same servings? Wilton does have a party chart and a wedding charge?

I usually end up using the chart online or go to my newest yearbook for the numbers.

MammaG Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

What year is the yearbook?

Are you comparing the same servings? Wilton does have a party chart and a wedding charge?

I usually end up using the chart online or go to my newest yearbook for the numbers.

It was a book I purchased last year that came with the tool kit they have. The one I found online is the only one I could find. It is not for a wedding, but i hear from everyone that a serving size should be the same regardless. Can you send a link of a party cake serving chart that is accurate?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaG Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 9

thank you so much

TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 9

I only use the Wedding chart for my numbers, no matter what the occasion is for.

If you are talking about the book with the pink cake with scrolls and roses, then I'm guessing those numbers are outdated. That book has been around a while.

CWR41 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:

If you are talking about the book with the pink cake with scrolls and roses, then I'm guessing those numbers are outdated. That book has been around a while.

TexasSugar: Do you have an opinion on why the numbers were ever updated? The serving portions were always 1x2x4 (for wedding portions), pans sizes are still the same, and the cutting charts are still similar... do you think that Wilton just got a little better with math trying to account for the slight missing angle of each piece?

TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 9

I honestly have no idea.

CWR41 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:40pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:

I honestly have no idea.

K, thanks!

If anyone else has a clue, please chime in! I think there are many other long-timers that would be interested to know why it changed. I feel like it wasn't broke, and didn't need fixin'. (don't like giving away extra cake!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%