Help, It's My First Topsy Turvy Cake!!!

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 11:09am by Karen421

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:16am
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to make this cake ( link at the bottom). It's going to feed 25 people so. I am using styrafoam on the bottom and top tier and cake for the two middle tiers.

She has requested that I do...
bottom tier (4th)-Black with white chanel C's ( front and back)
3rd tier- White with black squigglies and rhinestones
2nd tier-Black with white coach C's
top tier-White with black polka dots.
Ribbons like the picture in hot pink with a hot pink "16" on top

She needs it sketched out but I can't draw for nothing.

Also, it looks like in the picture that the bottom tier isn't topsy turvy...it's kinda straight while the others on top are slanted. Does anyone else see this and is that right??

Also, it's my first topsy turvy cake, any tips I should know about how to's????

Thanks

7 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:37am
post #2 of 8

look in youtube fot tutorial by janelle..all you need

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:43am
post #3 of 8

The link isn't showingup correctly in your post, so I wasn't able to look at the cake. And, sorry, but I can't draw either!

But I can give a little advice on a TT. The best favor you can do for yourself is to get started WAAAAY in advance. I'd even bake/freeze the cakes, so they're on hand for carving when you're ready. Also, if you have time, I'd order Sugarshacks Totally Topsy Turvy dvd...it's a LIFESAVER.

Do all of your decorations in advance, make your BC well in advance, etc. By having all of your ducks in a row early, you'll save yourself lots of heartache. Also, regardless of your ability to draw, have your design ideas laid out completely, so that you're not scrambling for ideas. Have a plan and stick to it lol ! HTH.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:51am
post #4 of 8

That is great advice from Sassy74 and the You Tube tutorial is great too! Try this tutorial, it is a good one also:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/71115-demo-topsy-turvy-cake/

Do as much research as possible before you get started, and you shouldn't have any problems! thumbs_up.gif

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:57am
post #5 of 8

Sorry guys try this link instead...........http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/pink-and-brown-sweet-16-cake-2008-03-02.htm

You may have to paste in your browser....it's being difficult!!

madgeowens Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:25am
post #6 of 8

This s my first topsy turvy............I used the youtube tutorial
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1815018

madgeowens Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 5:25am
post #7 of 8

I would be curious as to how you are going to support(with center dowel rod) if you are using styrofoam? You pound thru that and there will be little particles of styro in your cakes. I hope someone answers this part for I am very interested in the answer. icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 11:09am
post #8 of 8

Straws and a dowel is just one way to support your cake, you can also use the SPS system. If you click on the link I posted and scroll through it, they use the SPS system. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%