Gumpaste/fondant Standing Ponies-Anyone Know How?

Decorating By milly-mel Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 2:16pm by staceyflute

milly-mel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milly-mel Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 5

My daughter wants a 'My Little Pony' cake but doesn't want toy ponies on it - she wants ponies that she can eat! I only make cakes for family as a hobby and hoping that someone could help by posting instructions or where I could get instructions?

Thanks in advance

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 5

do they have to be standing? lying down ones would be much easier, you would only need to worry about supporting the head. if they need to be really edible, then support will have to be spaghetti (rather than toothpicks or wire).
marzipan is good for modelling, and nice to eat if you like the flavour! dont think id do these is straight fondant, maybe 50/50 fondant and gumpaste.
have a good browse on youtube, my quick search didnt show anything for pony, but dog did (aine2 has videos on youtube for a dog too) - and its the same idea, just be sure you have pictures of the pony to work from too.
xx

milly-mel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milly-mel Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 5

thanks brincess_b, I know that having them standing will be far more difficult but I would like to try. I also tried you tube with nothing - that's where I have learned everything else! I'm just going give it a bash and see what happens icon_lol.gif

Thanks again x

FEIwannabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FEIwannabe Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:21am
post #4 of 5

I've made some standing ponies. I just winged it. you can see them in my gallery.

I made the 4 legs first and made sure the top of the 4 legs were flat-ish. Actually they were a little cupped because the body was egg shaped. The 4 legs were 'glued' together using just a little bit of gumpaste 'glue'. I let those dry for a few minutes as I got the body and head size and shape correct. Then I 'glued' the body to the legs. And then used 1/2 a toothpick dipped in 'glue' and stuck into the body. Then I positioned the head on the toothpick that was sticking out of the body. That was the only part that was tricky. My 1st horse's head was a little droopy, so position it a tiny higher than you think. I also touched 'glue' between the body and the head before I pushed them together. Before I stuck the head on, I pushed the nose, mouth and eyes into the head.
Then I 'glued' the remaining parts incluing the tail.

That's it really. It was fun, because all the horses I've made so far have had to look like actual horses. So markings had to be somewhat acurate.

staceyflute Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyflute Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 5

I used modeling chocolate to make a standing pony for the my little pony cake I made recently. Take a look here...

http://stuffbystace.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-little-pony-cake.html

I made the four legs first and stood them all up. Then placed the body on top of the legs and smoothed the modeling chocolate from the body to the legs together so it was seamless and then did the same for the head. This was all done while referencing a bunch of my little pony pictures on the web so I could get the right proportions. The smaller details on my pony were done in gumpaste and applied to the modeling chocolate with just a little water.

It took a lot of patience and time, but I was happy with the pony in the end. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%